Leaking door gasket symptoms?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

Now that I am having some bigger fires I noticed with the primary air turned down I have a lazy orange flame on one side of my glass door, is this a possible sign of a leaking door gasket, it does not get black but there is some hazing of the glass in that area. This seems to happen only when I have more wood in the stove and it is close to that side of the door. Do not have that lazy orange flame on the other side of door. New stove so would have been this way from begining. What other symptoms might one see?

Is the wood, in general, burning faster on that side of the stove?
Maybe be conscious of that next time and take a look.

Troutchaser said:
Is the wood, in general, burning faster on that side of the stove?
Maybe be conscious of that next time and take a look.
On this load I would say yes, so I guess it must be leaking bad enough to cause a problem, nice.

If the gasket is leaking, it would be a very small leak to not foul the glass. A large leak will cool the surface of the glass resulting in fouling. If the hazing has cone or wedge shapes pointing toward the gasket, that would indicate gasket leakage. It could simply be asymmetric airflow inside the stove.

LLigetfa said:
It could simply be asymmetric airflow inside the stove.

And here I thought I was the ONLY person on this forum who appreciated this concept... you made my day :)
I've owned ALOT of different stoves over the years, and every one of them had this.

Status
Not open for further replies.