Leaking Flue Connector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I'm currently running my Hearthstone Phoenix in a hearth stove configuration. Last evening, I noticed flame light reflection on one side of the SS insert right where it connects to the stove. It only happens when the firebox is cranking and flames go up into the exhaust chamber above the secondary burn tubes in the stove.

I've recently moved the stove about 8 inches forward out of the fireplace, and I'm wondering if I've compromised the flue connection. There isn't any evidence of smoke or CO in the house as result, stove is still drafting just fine (too much as usual...probably need a damper), and stove temps are OK but I kind of throttled it down last night when I noticed the light.

Any ideas?

So is this a dangerous situation, or is this a barometric damper of sorts?

If there is light exiting from a stove pipe connection then you need to fix it. It is a leak of cold air into your chimney. I would repair it. You aren't getting smoke or CO into the room because under normal conditions the chimney is sucking air into the leak.

So we got our installation guy to come back out, and he sealed the flue collar to the SS insert with black silicone. About 90 minutes later, I started the stove, and after the stove warmed up the silicone started smoking with some awful fumes. I had to shut down everything and open windows, run fans, etc. It eventually stopped.

Is this part of the silicone curing process or should I be calling back my stove guy (again...)?

Silicone should NEVER be used on a wood stove pipe. If the opening is small, it should be sealed with furnace cement. Can you put up a picture of this connection?

Here's the picture of the connection. That white stuff is the cement originally used to connect the collar to the flue pipe. The black stuff under it is the rubbery stuff he put on yesterday that made such a mess.

Attachments

• DSC00613.JPG
    DSC00613.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 219
Moving the stove after it was connected would compromise the connection if it crimped the flex liner and/or if the flex wasn't securely screwed to the stove collar. Is the flex now hitting against the lintel? If so, the stove needs to be moved back into the fireplace until the flex can naturally bend to completely surround the stove flue collar.

PS: black silicone is definitely not what should be used here. The problem needs to be fixed and not covered up. Particularly not with a product that is not approved for this application. Get that gunk removed.

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking perhaps a little approach to this install is necessary, maybe involving some 45 degree stove pipe extensions and tie the whole thing into a block-off plate.

I'll post the results... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.