Leaking gasket!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I saw this the other day and though maybe I just hard a bad burn. When I opened the door to further inspect you could see some creosote on the face of the stove where the gasket and stove meet. This stove is new since Jan of 2010. This is also the spot where the gasket starts and stops on the door. I also noticed the pins from the door hinge are popping up. I hope after I reset this will go away and I won't have to replace the gasket already.

I'm unaware of any door adjustments that can be made. I also inspected very well for an obstruction to the gasket like ash etc. Any other fixes other than replacing a less than I year old gasket??

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 217
ckarotka said:
I saw this the other day and though maybe I just hard a bad burn. When I opened the door to further inspect you could see some creosote on the face of the stove where the gasket and stove meet. This stove is new since Jan of 2010. This is also the spot where the gasket starts and stops on the door. I also noticed the pins from the door hinge are popping up. I hope after I reset this will go away and I won't have to replace the gasket already.

I'm unaware of any door adjustments that can be made. I also inspected very well for an obstruction to the gasket like ash etc. Any other fixes other than replacing a less than I year old gasket??

NO.

Gaskets deform, wear, abrade. Easy, fast, messy, simple maintenance.
Get the correct size, clean the groove carefully, use a minimum of gasket cement, and ask for High Density gasket.
A tip: wrap the ends with scotch tape before cutting---it leaves clean ends for cementing. And don't stretch the gasket, insert.

So would the factory replacement be a high density gasket or is there another source to get one.

ckarotka said:
So would the factory replacement be a high density gasket or is there another source to get one.

Any good stove dealer carries HD gaskets. Most are the basic 3 sizes.
Another tip: wear procto or latex EMT gloves for applying the cement around the groove with your little finger. 'Steal' them from your doc's or dentist's office---you're paying for them anyhow. The purple one's are my favorite. Gasket cement is near permanent IN skin. Applying with a tube or caulking gun puts too much in the groove.

PapaDave said:
Too much cement will penetrate the gasket and cause it to be less than flexible. Use a small bead in the groove, and as mentioned, don't stretch the gasket.

A "bead" seems ( ! ) to always seep into the gasket , out of the groove. I've found the latex covered pinky method to coat lightly the groove for clean adhesion.

Status
Not open for further replies.