Leaking Hydraulic control valve assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwright

Oct 6, 2011
Little Rock, AR
Did a search and found stuff CLOSE, but no cigar. Point me in the right direction....

I have a Timberwolf P1 and I noticed that the back of the valve housing is weeping fluid. It's most noticeable when changing directions with the lever. The plate that the circlip is holding on moves and takes a bit of fluid with it. AND...if you move the handle full sweep back and forth with the engine off it will also throw a bit of fluid out.

This splitter is an '09 model that's seen very little usage as far as I can tell. I wonder if maybe an oring has dried up? I'm also assuming that it's a bit more complicated than removing the circlip and replacing some oring on the other side of the plate?

Here's some pics that I hope will help.
Splitter1.JPGSplitter2.JPG

Thoughts?

You should be able to get a seal kit for the valve or maybe just find the o rings separately. That valve shouldn't be too difficult to rebuild. Likely just a few o rings or seals wrapped around the detent shaft.

Go here: http://www.princehyd.com/Default.aspx?tabid=28 and download the 3.3 Mb valve section file and start on page 55. Should give you what you need.

Oooo. Thanks.

This appears to be in the "annoyance" category. Long as I keep the fluid ok I'm hoping it will be ok for a while. No?

Obviously if it leaks profusely that's a different story.

An annoyance, yes. In theory, it could leak forever and not cause a problem but if oil can get out, dirt can get in. Not likely, but it could happen. Also, if the seal or o ring is damaged, a small piece of it could break off and go through the system and plug an orifice and cause a few other headaches.

If you look at the bottom half of page 57, item # 3 should be the leaking seal. In order to replace it you will need to remove the detent shaft from the valve body which isn't very difficult. I'd remove the circlip and plate and check the screw that holds the centering spring and cup, item #4, in place. Since the plate moves a bit, I'm thinking that the screw could have worked loose and might be part of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.