leaking pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having some difficulty with my stovepipe. I took apart thr pipe inthe house- about11-12 foot worth to clean this year. I had help putting it back together, and sealed each joint with sealant. Of course, like all Murphy's Law, the pipe did not go back together as perfectly as it was the first time! I have small leaks at 2 joints when the pellet stove is first fireing up- for about 30 seconds. I assume it is until there is some heat in the peipe to creat draft. After that, no problrm at all. We put quite a bit of sealant at each joint. I don't want to take it down again, as I need help to get it back up. I temporarily put Gorilla Tape at the joints to see what would happen. No leak!! Is there a product that I can use on the outside of the joints that would look good? If I try to use sealant on the outside of the joints, it will be a mess.?? Suggestions. It must look good, as house is going up for sale. OH!! Another subject... I have a Harman Eccentra, which was giving me problems. It is only used about 2 months a year. This year it will be 3 months. Anyway, the Harman Dealer where I bought my stove said that the Accentra was the stove that gave them problems the most. He also said the Harman manufacturer was as rude to them as they are to customers! Anyway- stovepipe ideas? Thanks.

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and take the pipe apart again and fix it. Sure, you could probably rig a fix from the outside but a good home inspector will spot it in a heartbeat and then be set to kill during the rest of his inspection. I think this could cause you WAY more headaches in the long run than it's worth!

There is a high-temp tape out there. I haven't used it, but remember some poster liking it. The smoke comes at the start of combustion. Once the pellets in the burnpot have fully ignited there should be no smoke.

I've used the 3M High Temperature Aluminum Foil Tape with success.
I think it had a temp range up to something like 600F.
It almost blends right in with the pellet vent unless you have the
black pellet pipe then it wouldn't look so great.
Even though the tape is adhesive, I put some hi temp sealant on
the joint, then taped it. It never leaked again and never came
apart either until the next time I disassembled the vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.