Leaking splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geomarq

Mar 5, 2010
CT
I just tried out my new Huskee 22 ton splitter yesterday. Handled everything very well and was happy with the speedy cycle time.

Only complaint>> I have a slow leak at the pump fitting when the unit is under pressure. It sat for a week without leaking so it's a pressure issue. I tried removing the compression fitting but it's frozen on there. Even used my big vice grips. I was afraid I'd really do some damage so I just put a bucket under the pump to catch the fluid. It's leaking at the pump fitting on the bottom of the unit. I wanted to remove the compression hose and then the sleeve and put teflon tape on it. Any tricks for removing or fixing this issue?

if you mean 'new' as in brand new, call the vendor and have them deal with it. No reason to patch repair on a new machine.
It may be just a loose fitting, but if you are not familiar with the types of joints, let the mfr fix it. That is why you bought new.

The connection may be NPT, which takes tape or sealant, but if it really is flare, or compression bite type, neither of those use tape and neither can be fixed with tape. There are copper inserts for flare joints, but I would have the vendor replace the tube or adaptor.

If it is used, and your responsibility, post a pic and we can determine the type of joint and next step.

I fyou need a bucket under it, must be a significant leak.

To me, step one in any problem issue is contact the other party directly and usually resolve it easy enough.

kcj

geomarq well OK so it's not perfect...these are the times we live in. It's still possible to have a good piece of equipment that weeps oil, that's just the nature of the beast. If it were mine I'd just check all fluids before operating and just drive on.

ah, used, well still worth a call to speeco and see if there are anyknown issues.
otherwise, just basic mechanics. how much is 'leak'. yes weeping is normal, but not necessary.
you will need proper wrench, vise grips pinches in the tube/hose nut
post a pic if you can close up so we can identify the connection type and the typical fixes.

Just called them, and they said it may have cracked due to overtighing at the factory. They do use pipe dope. He suggested heating it slowly.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 235
geomarq said:
I just tried out my new Huskee 22 ton splitter yesterday. Handled everything very well and was happy with the speedy cycle time.

Even used my big vice grips. :bug:
:bug:

I Like my speeco/huskee splitter too.

Vice grips will make it even more difficult to take it off. They clamp the fitting even tighter & will cause future leaks.

"Mechanics" will "CRINGE" every-time they see someone with vice grips or channel locks pliers on hydraulic fittings (or about anything that a wrench will fit )

If you don't have the correct size wrenches, take it to a shop or buddy that does. Local garage may do it for free.
If you keep reefing on it with vice grips, you'll need a new hose too.

Use 2 wrenches, one on the fitting threaded into the pump, one on the hose fitting, position the wrenches so you can squeeze then together to loosen the hose fitting.
Be careful removing the fitting from the pump to not apply side force & break the pump mounting bracket.
Have a plug or cap ready to plug the ports to save hydraulic fluid.

I bet some good pipe dope, and/or thread tape will fix the leak.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.