Leaky flue connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lead Hot

Oct 15, 2011
Upper Piedmont, NC
Using an incense stick I found the double wall tee connecting to my flu collar is drawing in air at the connection point. I'd like to seal it better but would like to know how to use furnace cement for this? Could I reach through the stove and pack it around the connection or remove the pipe and apply it that way?

Unless you think it's a big problem...like decreasing your draft, or leading to inordinate cooling of flue gases and thus creosote condensing out and building up in the flue...it could well be that there really isn't anything you "need" to do about it at all. If there's a bit of a gap at the connector, and some bit of room air is being drawn in there while the stove's operating, it's actually an indication that your system's performing properly, in terms of flue draft. Rick

I ordered my chimney brush and rods yesterday. I guess I 'lll determine if it's a problem after my first cleaning (about a week from now). I did look up from the bottom of the tee about a month ago and did not see any real build up.

I don't think standard flue pipe connections were ever meant to be air tight, so some leakage is tolerated. Pretty much if you had to use a smoke stick to detect the leak it probably isn't too big a deal.

However, on my Montpelier insert the liner adapter was crimped so well that it left a visibly large gap. This I thought could actually cause problems with draft so I filled the gap with fiberglass stove gasket if that gives you an indication of how large the gap is. And I did notice an improvement in the draft.

My single wall had (has) several leaks, with these new EPA stove I think it come into play very easily, I had several leaks on my old stove and it did not even know they were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.