leaky venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
So after trying everything suggested to stop the smoke from leaking from my exhaust. Finally i tried the foil tape and it stopped the leaks but there is a odor from the tape.. i expected this but it is very strong. will this eventually go away?

I like that you state "poorly self installed" honest person from the start. I did the same thing with the tape and it took about a week before the smell went away.

I am not going to lie, it was my first install and you can tell

You have something that works, and you did it yourself. Be proud. ;-)

Bixby burners have significant experience with sealing pipes. Our stoves come with a 3" exhaust pipe concentric within a 5" air intake. The arrangement acts as a heat exchanger, but is a hassle to seal. If the hidden inner joints leak, then exhaust shunts back into the combustion air, compromising performance. The factory advises sealing the joints using a bead of hi temp red silicone prior to fitting the pieces together. But be careful to not overdo it. You don't want excess sealant constricting the exhaust pipe. Inspect after joining and/or run a brush through before the sealant hardens.

Corny

Status
Not open for further replies.