Lean On Me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like this weekend this cherry will be added to our stacks, it's hung up on the birch so once I get back in and take a better look then I'll decide on how to cut it. First I'll finish off stacking what cherry I split.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_4164.jpg
    100_4164.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_4165.jpg
    100_4165.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_4239-1.jpg
    100_4239-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 366
Are you going to try to save the birch? It looks bent over too.
Nice looking cherry.

Looks like you might have a foot of snow to work in by this weekend.

bogydave, I think the top of the birch is broken off plus the way it's growing I might as well take it.

solarandwood, I hope it's less, hate to put the chains on this early.

Happy Thanksgiving

Zap

The cherry in my neck of the woods is prone to a black growth that deforms the wood. But it is excellent firewood. I haven't measured the moisture content right after I cut it, but it seems to dry faster than pine!

maplewood said:
The cherry in my neck of the woods is prone to a black growth that deforms the wood. But it is excellent firewood. I haven't measured the moisture content right after I cut it, but it seems to dry faster than pine!

It's the same here maplewood, I call it black rot.

zap

zapny said:
bogydave, I think the top of the birch is broken off plus the way it's growing I might as well take it.

solarandwood, I hope it's less, hate to put the chains on this early.

Happy Thanksgiving

Zap

A year ago this friday we got 77" in 72 hours.
Nothing in the forecast but it can change in the blink of an eye.
I put chains on the loader last nite. Just in case!

IF you cut that birch first (and I would NOT recommend it) watch your azz for a split/barber chair. Looks to me like a butt cut on the cherry and rope and pull at a 45 degree angle, but its tough to say without seeing it in person.

Jags said:
IF you cut that birch first (and I would NOT recommend it) watch your azz for a split/barber chair. Looks to me like a butt cut on the cherry and rope and pull at a 45 degree angle, but its tough to say without seeing it in person.

Jags, good call on the cherry. After a few cuts it should come out of the birch.

zap

You could almost walk on that cherry and drop it with your body weight. I would make cuts on the cherry to drop the trunk in pieces. Lightens the load, reduces the stress and danger and gets it down fast. Cut into 3-4 (or longer) log sections with undercuts. After a few of those, what's left should either drop or be easily pulled or pushed out of the birch. I've brought down a few hung up trees like that. Saves a lot of screwing around with ropes and pulling - which certainly do have its place, but I'd reserves that for trees that are hung up waaaay up high and are much more vertical that this one.

SolarAndWood said:
Looks like you might have a foot of snow to work in by this weekend.

Somebody beat Zap to the weather forecast for his area. :lol:
A foot of snow might change plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.