1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Learing curve with older rebuilt stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ckarotka, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckarotka

ckarotka Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwest PA on the lake
    I'm learning to use my fixed up "Little Buck" insert. I just replaced all gaskets and gave her new paint. The frame is solid no cracks that I could see and all welds look solid.

This is my first winter with it. I'm doing some test burns now, it's not really that cold out but damp and chilly. The thermostat has low, medium and high. The manual says that it runs on high only during overfires and cycles on low when it's cooling down, thats easy enough, but....running medium is hard without a temp gauge.

I want a good stove temp thermometer so I can better gauge the medium running temp. Something better than a magnet, any suggestions??

Thanks,
    Charlie

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ckarotka

Loc:
    Northwest PA on the lake
    I should clarify a bit. I would like the probe to be in the same location as the thermostat since the top will cool much slower that the thinner side wall where the thermostat is located.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Usually with inserts there isn't the choice of thermometers that one can use on a freestanding stove because the flue connection is buried behind the surround. That means a magnetic surface thermometer, usually placed on the face of the stove above the door if there's room. Don't worry, it's all relative. The firebox temp is actually much hotter than the surface readings anyway.

It sounds like the thermostat is just for the fan. Is this correct? If so, you will learn to correlate surface temps with the fan cycle.
  4. ckarotka

Loc:
    Northwest PA on the lake
    Ya I'm talking about the fan. This seemed like a good stove for the price $0. My uncle decided he didn't want to burn anymore and I snatched it up for when my other insert had to be put down. This one just runs so diff from the quadrafire 400.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.