Learn how to weld suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
since we are way off topic here, i will add (since i deal with welds every day) that I dont trust the weld unless the welder is properly certified, the process is properly certified, AND (and most importantly) the weld was visually inspected, mag particle or liquid penetrant inspected as applicable, and hopefully i am able to get a radiograph inspection too.... then I will be happy....

but it all depends on what you are welding. for many things a good "kick test" is good enough. I trust the robots that welded my car, but how about a repair shop... the QA could be quite different...

Glad I don't work where you work. I got sent to one job where the customer had hired a welding inspector because he didn't like the looks of the welds the previous tech had done. Middle of winter, horrible day like today and I set up a flux core rig and made giant bullet proof welds all day that couldn't possibly fail a nuclear pipe tester's best efforts. After a couple days of this I ask the builder when the inspector is coming. He looks at me funny and says, "I'm not having your welds tested". Just like anything in life, always weld like your work is going to be x-rayed, dye penetrant and mag tested.

Reactions: maverick06
Community college is a good place to start. You just have to know your limitations. And don't exceed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.