Learned a lesson and got real lucky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
I went down the cellar to look at the temp of my tank and it was spilling water out of the top, pretty good amount on the floor.

I figured out what happened and realized how lucky I got.

It's home made tank, 8' by 4' by 4' with a pond liner and 240' of 3/4 copper heat exchanger. I had set a 42 gallon vertical galvanized steel tank inside it to temper my DHW. Works like a charm.

But, the steel tank corroded somewhere and was leaking house pressure water into my tank and spilling over the top. Luckily I started a fire and went to look at the temp of the tank before my basement filled up.

So, no more galvanized tanks in my tank. I'm going to make up a copper heat exchanger from some 3/4 and 1/2 copper I have and let that sit at the top of the tank to temper for me.

I got lucky this time.

Eric

Glad to hear everything was alright in the end. Another chapter in the chronicles of DIY heating projects...

I have a 1/2" copper coil for DHW in my non-pressurized tank and it works really well. I simply got a 100' coil of soft copper from Lowes and made a cheap frame to suspend it in the tank out of CPVC. To encourage stratification in the tank and not deplete the temperature at the top of the tank too quickly, I ran my coil from the bottom to the top of the tank. I also added one loop that goes the whole length of the tank at the bottom and another at the top out of hard copper for a total of about 120' of 1/2" copper. Good luck making your new heat exchanger!

Status
Not open for further replies.