Learned something to make splitting easier today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
So, I stole a cord of ash from next year's stacks to burn in the Oslo this year and I haven't had the time to get all the silver maple split up from my neighbor's tree to replace but I figured I better get it done so it can start drying and be ready by next fall.

Oh, yes, pictures or it didn't happen.

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

The pile is 6' tall in the center.

So, anyway, i had the rounds stacked where I couldn't get my splitter to so started carrying the rounds over to the splitter. It finally dawned on me that I was working way too hard so I took my utility wagon, dropped the side that would face the splitter, loaded it up and then pulled it up right next to the splitter. Worked really slick. Just had to slide the round off right on to the splitter and never had to get up off my splitting throne.

This will fill next year's stack back up, finish off the last of 2012/13 and there should even be a little to put in 2014/15.

Now, if it would just stack itself. :cheese:

Nice Pile!

That is one of those heapenhausens right?

No, it's just a big pile of wood that I need to get off my butt and go stack. :grrr:

Don't do that, heaps look best in the sunlight.

Looks great and next the stacking.

zap

Nice work Wendell. How's that new Oslo install going?

It is still in the planning stages. :cheese:

I thought I had it all figured out and then realized I didn't have my chimney long enough. I've got kinda spoiled with that 35 feet coming out of the basement.

Installing the Oslo is going to be easy. Planning the hearth pad and backsplash with my wife is the challenging part. ;-)

Nice pile, good luck with the Oslo, and I hear you on the hearth. 90% of my new hearth can't be rolled easily, so I'm having flats formed and welded. Yup, steel and tile for me!

wendell said:
It is still in the planning stages. :cheese:

I thought I had it all figured out and then realized I didn't have my chimney long enough. I've got kinda spoiled with that 35 feet coming out of the basement.

Installing the Oslo is going to be easy. Planning the hearth pad and backsplash with my wife is the challenging part. ;-)

You planning on doing dishes on your hearth? ;) :)

And yeah . . . I'm with you . . . one of the reasons I haul my rounds home and split them vs. splitting them in the wood lot is the ability to park the splitter right next to the trailer and I can just turn and grab a round without bending over . . . very little movement and it's fast.

I figured I'd get crap for that but I figured it was easier typing that than "the tile behind the stove".

That's what I usually do but I ran out of room to stack them and had to put them behind some bushes that grew a lot this summer.

Wendell, if we were closer I'd help you do the stacking. Nice score.

the easiest way I found to do it is
I cut and split
wife and pops (my dad 86) stack
then pops gets rid of the brush pile
during the day when he's bored
cuts it up and burns it in the barrel
so he feels safe, he wont burn on the ground
oh, and I dont have a wood burner, I burn pellets
so I have lots of nicely stacked wood around the propoerty

ironpony said:
I cut and split

Ok, I'll bite.

If you have a pellet stove, why do you cut and stack wood?

Spikem said:
ironpony said:
I cut and split

Ok, I'll bite.

If you have a pellet stove, why do you cut and stack wood?

Well lets see, I have 4.5 acres 2 wooded. The driveway comes up throught the woods.
My wife feels that the 2 acres of woods should be clean, i.e. no sticks or branches or trees on the ground.
she also picks up the leaves and mows between most of the trees ( push mower)
so there you have it
because the wife says so

Ironpony... Well if you cant burn it and the piles get to big for ya give me a shout and I'll help ya fix the problem ;-) your probably not to far...

Status
Not open for further replies.