Learning Curve For Englander 13NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Jones

Sep 13, 2008
New hampshire
I have burned other quality pre: E.P.A. stoves in the past. I do find this new stove harder to run in that it takes longer to catch good fire and is harder to bring up to high temperature. I attribute this to the configuration of the draft port(s.) I need to run this stove with the door slightly open for 20 minutes before I get a good fire going. And seem to need to keep the draft port full open for the next hour. I should point out that I am burning fairly well seasoned wood. Once I have the stove up to good burn temperature, adding more wood seems to reduce flue gas temps for quite some time before I achieve a good running temperature once again. Perhaps my wood isn't quite dry enough especially with the larger splits. The smaller splits are fine and quick catching, but larger splits seem to set the process back in that the flue temp does drop. Once the fire is established after 2 or more hours the larger splits do catch faster and everything seems to be ok. I am thinking of buying a small splitter so that most of my splits will be smallish and lend themsellves to quicker ignition, especially in these shoulder months where a fire is only needed in the morning and at night. These quick, "take off the chill fires" seem to be my biggest problem. Any advice appreciated. I have very little kndling so I think I could make as much as neccessary with a small splitter.

I'll agree that the stove has a bit of a learning curve and I had about the same experience you had with the stove. My draft is marginal and my wood was less than desirable last year so I suspect that may be some of you problem also. Remember, these stoves are designed to burn douglas fir that is between 19 and 25% moisture; they are so tightly designed that even minimal deviation in wood quality can affect the burn.

I have a englander 13 and I love it . I throw some small pieces and a cedar starter and let her rip. Dont need the door open. You'll get the hang of it . As for the splitter, I just bought a ryobi electric splitter for $300 and I LOVE IT. Cant complain. It will split you small pieces into smaller pieces. :cheese:

Yeah, I'm thinking you have a draft issue and/or wood that isn't as dry as it should be.

My 13 lights very easy and I need to close the door within 10 minutes or less of lighting it. I also have to close my air controll down within 15 minutes or so. My stove pipe goes straight up to my ceiling where it connects to 3 36" sections of class A chimney that go through my attic and out the roof.

What type of connection and chimney setup are you running? Are you seeing any water bubbling out of the ends of your splits when you put them on the fire?

Screwindaman said:
I have a englander 13 and I love it . I throw some small pieces and a cedar starter and let her rip. Dont need the door open. You'll get the hang of it . As for the splitter, I just bought a ryobi electric splitter for $300 and I LOVE IT. Cant complain. It will split you small pieces into smaller pieces. :cheese:

I bought one the Ryobi electric splitters yesterday for $300 at home depot. Had to do some serious traveling to get the machine as my 2 local HD's were out of stock. Had 2 strong women load it into my truck at the store and when i got it home I needed an appliance dolly to move it into the house. I was really tired after lots of driving and said " this machine can wait until tomorrow". When I went to turn off my computer off a 2:A.M...the weather channel had a frost warning issued for my area.

The last time I ignored that warning last week, I awoke to a 55 degree house the next morning...as I have my furnance thermostat set at 55 degrees. I did slice the splitters box open and plugged it in as it sat on my living room carpet. It took 10 minutes to read the manual and I was in business. I split and resplit and resplit a couple of large logs and in 10 minutes had a basket full of kindling sized pieces. I could tell after the splits that the inside of the splits were damp, indicating unseasoned wood. Anyway I threw it all into the stove with a 1/4 section of Super-Cedar. In 10 minutes I had the hottest fire I have had yet...burn temperatures reached the max recommended in a few minutes and I had to adjust the draft down. This quick fire left me with a hot stove and lots of hot embers. I then did half all the additional wood I fed to the stove and the temp stayed constantly high.

I did witness the secondary burn characteristics of the stove last night for the first time. Constant flame above the burning wood... seemingly to come from nowhere. I had until then never been able to get my stove temp up to high and did have to leave the door open for some 30 minutes or more. The draft was fine...it was wet wood that had caused my problem and the ryobi spiltter solved the problem...

JoeyJ, you must not be married? If I was to bring a wood splitter in the house the wood would not be the only thing split.
Don

N6CRV said:
JoeyJ, you must not be married? If I was to bring a wood splitter in the house the wood would not be the only thing split.
Don

You got that right. Been there, Done that, kids are grown and gone and my living room is 22'x 22' so there is plenty of space for my new splitter...right beside my stove.... and there it will sit. I'ts been so long; I forgot about the wife factor. Glad I'm not married. Plus, when I was married it was all on me to do all the stove things: cut wood, split wood , haul wood, start and maintain fires, clean out ashes and clean the chimney on a 3-1/2 story house with a 10" on 12" pitched roof.

Besides no woman would have me and if there was one, I wouldn't date her anyway, as anyone whom would date me, must have a loose screw.

Besides no woman would have me and if there was one, I wouldn't date her anyway, as anyone whom would date me, must have a loose screw.[/quote]

Great reply!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.