Learning curve for soapstone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
I am considering either a Hearthstone or Woodstock for the basement room, probably the Homestead or the Keystone. I am not very familiar with wood stove operation. Do you think figuring out how to optimally operate either of these stoves is going to be much more difficult than operating, say, a Jotul F3CB? Does the catalytic burner complicate things much?

I have to say that I was a bit nervous at first with the catalytic stove, but it is really easy to operate. I think the problems come into play when we overthink in how to operate them. They are pretty straight forward.

If you are not familiar on how to operate a woodstove, you will be no worse starting with a soapstone or castiron, cat or no cat. Does not matter, because there are learning curves with both.

The benefit is that you have no preconceived notions with the operation with either, and are likely to be more open minded.

I made up my mind early in the stove search to avoid CAT's. Probably didn't need to be so wary of them, but the non CAT's seemed so straight-forward. Ended up with a HS Homestead and we really like it but am, as I wrote in another thread today, still on the uphill side of the learning curve. I wasn't really aware of the Woodstock soap stoves and might have considered one, but once we saw a Heritage in action we were pretty much sold. I certainly like the idea of extending burn times - especially after my first four months of burning!

I LOVE catalytics. No need to be afraid.

With a properly set up Hearthstone the only thing you have to learn is what to do with all the extra time you will have on hand after seeing how easy it is to operate.

Kindling on the first fire

Load up full

Burn 10-15 mintues on full air

Dampen it down and walk away from it for an extened period of time as no more adjustments needed :p

Can't add much to that, its the truth. But I will say that I don't think you can make a mistake here: both the CAT and Hearthstone are nice units. No Fear Here....

I can't say we had any problems learning how to use our cat stove nor did friends who bought the same one - worked fine from day 1. Get the fire going good and when the surface thermometer says you're ready, push the cat lever and drop the air down. Then come back in about 6-16 hours to refill on hot coals depending on how often you want to reload (more often for more heat) and where you leave the air lever.

A non-cat shouldn't be viewed as plug and play as they sometimes are... any stove takes some learning. A friend recently got a Hearthstone non-cat and they definitely had some trouble the first 2-3 weeks - poor heat output and lots of smoke. I even brought them some wood to rule that out as a factor. But after lots of fiddling, they are now very happy with it and have overcome those issues. I was also less than impressed with the burn time of a generally well regarded non-cat I used in a rental cabin because I didn't have enough days to get the hang of it - fires were too hot and too short for me. I'm sure a few posts to hearth.com would have fixed those issues as well.

The trick with any of them will be learning where to leave air levers to dial in the burn length you want for your particular stove / chimney / etc.

-Colin

I think the cat stoves may give you a little better control during marginal heating weather and they handle softwoods as fuel really well. They are really quite easy to operate. Having one myself, I scratch my head trying to figure out how they get this rap for being hard to operate.

Dampen it down and walk away from it for an extened period of time as no more adjustments needed :p[/quote]

Struggle, I'm sure you're correct but where's the fun in that :lol: Maybe next year.

Thanks for all of the information, everybody! I got online yesterday and saw that Woodstock is offering lower prices through February 9th, and the more I read here, the more appealing that deal looks. Does anybody know if Hearthstone retailers typically discount stoves at a certain time of year like the Woodstock folks do?

Darl, we got a Woodstock stove last year but didn't install it until last August. We looked at a lot of different stoves and at first wanted to shy away from the cat. stoves. When we finally bought one, after visiting with people who already own them, and find that the cat. is really a good way to go. I'm still amazed. For example: last night again, I was up during the night. All I could see for a fire in the stove was one hot coal. Yet, the cat. was glowing red and the stovetop temperature was 600 degrees!

How can you get that much heat from that little hot coal? I don't understand it a all but love it. I've burned wood most of my life but still had a learning curve with the new stove. It really was quite easy though.

For those who say, just get the kindling burning and then load it up and forget it for hours and hours, I say bull! If the temperature is 30 degrees or greater outdoors I would certainly not want to fill the stove. The house would be just too darned hot. It depends on outdoor temperature as to how much wood to burn and even what type of wood to burn.

Please allow me to add that the folks at Woodstock are fantastic. No, I am not employed there; my only connection with them is that I bought their stove. I also highly recommend the Fireview. You can see what is happening in the stove without opening up the door! The flame is nice when you have one too.

Darl, no matter what stove you get there will be a learning curve. We get good reports on the Woodstock stoves and the company stands behind their product well. Just be sure to get a big enough stove to do the job. I love your neck of the woods. What part of NC are you in the mountains or below on the piedmont?

Backwoods Savage said:
For those who say, just get the kindling burning and then load it up and forget it for hours and hours, I say bull!

The way I stated it is exactly how we do it. Except there is no need for kindling after the first fire as we just go off coals for reloads.

As far is it getting to warm in the house we just prolong refilling the stove. I make no adjustments after it is dampned down.

BeGreen said:
Darl, no matter what stove you get there will be a learning curve. We get good reports on the Woodstock stoves and the company stands behind their product well. Just be sure to get a big enough stove to do the job. I love your neck of the woods. What part of NC are you in the mountains or below on the piedmont?

I live in Asheville in the mountains, and I consider myself blessed. Every once in a while I go somewhere else and am always happy to get back home.

I think for our space the Keystone or Palladian would work best--I don't want too much heat in a room we'll probably be spending quite a bit of time in. And, since my wife likes the Keystone's looks better, that may be the one we'll end up with. The Homestead seems to be the stove closest to the size that we need, so I am also considering that one.

Sounds good. I agree, you live in God's /Gaia's backyard.

Darl Bundren said:
BeGreen said:

I live in Asheville in the mountains, and I consider myself blessed. Every once in a while I go somewhere else and am always happy to get back home.

I think for our space the Keystone or Palladian would work best--I don't want too much heat in a room we'll probably be spending quite a bit of time in. And, since my wife likes the Keystone's looks better, that may be the one we'll end up with. The Homestead seems to be the stove closest to the size that we need, so I am also considering that one.

Just one comment - particularly with a cat, you will have the ability to get any of these stoves to a very low output, so don't let that influence your decision. The two as the other two more or less trade firebox area for the ashpan. Styling of course is quite different and I really like the other two as well. For me, maximum burn time between loads was a critical factor and I was willing to give up the ashpan to be able to stuff more wood into it for when I'm away at work.

-Colin

ps - I grew up in Fayetteville and every time we visited Asheville, I really wished we lived there :) Beautiful part of the country!

Just one comment - particularly with a cat, you will have the ability to get any of these stoves to a very low output, so don't let that influence your decision. The two as the other two more or less trade firebox area for the ashpan. Styling of course is quite different and I really like the other two as well. For me, maximum burn time between loads was a critical factor and I was willing to give up the ashpan to be able to stuff more wood into it for when I'm away at work.

-Colin

ps - I grew up in Fayetteville and every time we visited Asheville, I really wished we lived there :) Beautiful part of the country!

I hadn't thought about the ashpan vs. no ashpan. I am not sure it makes that much of a difference to me. Thanks for letting me know that I can run the stoves efficiently at low output--I am kind of partial to the Fireview's looks.

I did some training at Fayetteville State U. some years ago, and the summer climate made me long for cool, green Asheville.

Thanks for helping me out.

Darl Bundren said:
BeGreen said:

I have to tell you that the Keystone is a beautiful stove with a gorgeous flame display since the combustor is up front near the glass and diverts the falmes forward. Plus you get spectacular secondary burn displays, and it heats very nicely. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Everything Dennis says about Woodstock stove company is true.

I'm in NC too but in the Charlotte area.
I'll be getting my stove and install from a shop in your area "Black Mountain Stove and Chimney".
Before you buy anything, take the short trip down I-40 to Black Mountain and talk with Jack...
Those guys don't do anything but stoves and fireplaces... no lawn furniture or grilles and really know their stuff.
They are one of the largest dealers in the southeast for Hearthstone, and normally have one burning in their showroom.
Don't discredit the value of having a great local shop for support.

Detector$ said:
I'm in NC too but in the Charlotte area.
I'll be getting my stove and install from a shop in your area "Black Mountain Stove and Chimney".
Before you buy anything, take the short trip down I-40 to Black Mountain and talk with Jack...
Those guys don't do anything but stoves and fireplaces... no lawn furniture or grilles and really know their stuff.
They are one of the largest dealers in the southeast for Hearthstone, and normally have one burning in their showroom.
Don't discredit the value of having a great local shop for support.

I was out there last week. I agree that having local shop support is important. If I go with the Keystone, I may still try to get them to do the install. Or, I may go with Hearthstone because they are locally offered. I've got some deciding to do, I guess. Where are you down around Charlotte?

Southwest Charlotte. I'd kill to be near Asheville, Black Mountain, Boone or the Tri-Cities area of TN.
Our families live here and I fly 3 weeks a month so need to be close the airport.
I liked the Woodstock too, but the new house were building is too big for any of them. We were going to get the new Hearthstone Equinox "the HUGE one".
One look at the soapstone and she hated it. We're going to get the Jotul F 600 Firelight in enamel cast iron or the Morso 3610.
Good luck....

Detector$ said:
Southwest Charlotte. I'd kill to be near Asheville, Black Mountain, Boone or the Tri-Cities area of TN.
Our families live here and I fly 3 weeks a month so need to be close the airport.
I liked the Woodstock too, but the new house were building is too big for any of them. We were going to get the new Hearthstone Equinox "the HUGE one".
One look at the soapstone and she hated it. We're going to get the Jotul F 600 Firelight in enamel cast iron or the Morso 3610.
Good luck....

That Equinox they have displayed at Black Mountain Stoves looks like you could use it as an extra room! Good luck with your shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.