learning my Englander 24-jc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I bought a used 24jc last year. I just lined the chimney with an 8" insulated liner and hooked up the stove inside the fireplace. I started my first fire today. I had some seasoned oak logs that has been in the house for over 3 years so it should be very dry!! Tossed in a few logs and got it started. Opened the exit damper and the air inlet (I know theres a correct name for these) until the logs got to burning. I then closed the exit and logs started having a hard time burning. Opened it back up and cracked the door open and got it going strong again. Tossed in a couple more small logs, closed the door after a few minutes, and it started roaring. I closed the inlet but didnt seem to choke down the fire any, which worried me. It started getting hot and could smell it getting hot. After 20 minutes or so the logs then went away from being all roaring flames and are good red logs.

I have a 1100sq ft rancher, so small. Its currently reading 84F on the heat pump thermostat which is in the living room with the stove. I'm hoping to get the heat to the bedrooms which is another subject.

BUT: Any advice on getting this started? What could I do better? This IS a catalytic stove so should I get the wood roaring to get the catalytic up to temp, the close the exit damper? I dont have a thermometer anywhere on the stove so I dont know my temps.

And what about the air let. When I closed it nothing really happened.Could not choke the flame . Could there be a problem with it or is it getting air from somewhere else?

not much left burning in the stove but its pumping out the heat. Reading 85f degrees in the house. My wife is opening the windows to cool it down, lol.
fire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bypass damper gets closed after the cat has reached about 500F. That takes a little while, but then you can close the bypass damper.
1. Be sure there are no combustibles in the immediate area of the stove.
2. Open the slide damper above the door (slide to left) and pull the by-pass damper all the way out.
3. Place several pieces of crushed newspaper evenly over the bottom of the stove.
4. Place small dry sticks of kindling on top of the paper.
5. After igniting the paper, leave the door cracked slightly.
6. Once the kindling is burning freely, you can add several pieces of dry split wood to the fire. Continue to leave the door cracked slightly.
7. When the split wood starts to turn to charcoal, the firebox can be filled with seasoned wood. Allow this wood to burn (with the door cracked) for another ten to fifteen (10 to 15) minutes.
8. Close the door completely, leaving the draft controls in the open position. Push in the by-pass damper handle after about five (5) minutes. Note: You will notice the flame die down; however, this does not mean the fire has gone out. This unit is designed to burn wood more efficiently and slower-burning wood does not generate much flame.
9. Once you are sure the combustor is operating properly, the slide damper on the front of the stove can be adjusted to the desired burn rate.

The manual will be a big help. It's located here:
http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/24-JC.pdf

If the cat is dead or clogged you will not get the expected results. Read up in the catalyst maintenance section.