Learning my new ( old ) stove, any pointers? Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythoncurtus

Nov 25, 2015
Massachusetts
So we just moved into a lovely house here in Massachusetts. The house has a fireplace which we can run independently of the woodstove, but usually dont bother and keep it closed off. great for ambiance, not so much for practicality. and a VC Resolute wood stove which is our primary source of heat besides back up propane.

Weve mainly just been leaving the damper/bypass *just learned how it actually works thanks to google hits on this forum* open... but now I am experimenting with running it HOT ( can only seem to get the stove up to 400 or so right now because not so great firewood... ) with full air and then once i have good coals and fire, shutting it down.

I guess im curious if there are any other tips? Im used to older stoves that dont burn the gasses in the secondary chamber and you entirely control the air intake to control the fire and how long it can burn for, so this stove is a little bit different and has more features than I am used to having.

I definitely am not a pro with wood heat, but have managed reasonably well using it as a main source of heat. I guess im saying Hello! and I hope to learn a lot here and maybe you folks can pass on some tips or point me to the right direction in using my stove as efficiently as possible.

Ill post some photos.

I think the stove needs some reconditioning to be sure, new gaskets and such and a really solid cleaning and maybe some new paint to make it pretty again. Im not sure if the thermostat on the back works... I dont THINK that it does and we have to adjust that manually ( im used to ones that have springs that will go down as the fire gets hotter) but its otherwise in mostly solid shape.
It does need a new front handle for the door latch as the two dissimilar metals have fused to the door ( So it wont twist) , so to open the front doors we need to loosen the nut inside and pull the latch off the post. it works... when we want to roast hot dogs in there or read in front of the stove. :)

http://imgur.com/a/N8Spt - Image album of the stove and back information. And a cat. :)

I am in the same situation you are in. I bought a very nice used Resolute III last spring. The first thing I did was replace all the gaskets and remove the inside pieces to thoroughly clean the stove. Here is PA the main heating season has not started yet so I have not been able to operate the stove in the 500 degree range for reburn.

Reactions: Pythoncurtus
I am in the same situation you are in. I bought a very nice used Resolute III last spring. The first thing I did was replace all the gaskets and remove the inside pieces to thoroughly clean the stove. Here is PA the main heating season has not started yet so I have not been able to operate the stove in the 500 degree range for reburn.

I've had it burning since I posted this, feeding it the occasional extra log and it's surface temp is staying at 470-90 so I'm assuming I'm in the okay range inside?

It's been burning smoothly and I haven't had any smokiness smell at all and the heat is so steady. I have the back air flap open about a quarter of the way and the side hole closed...

All the other stuff I plan to do will have to wait until spring. Unfortunately as we just need the woodstove going no matter what!

I'm still reading these threads. Gonna take me some time.

I can't find the link right now, but there is a link on here for the manual that includes the Resolute and it has a brief write up of how to operate the stove in updraft and down draft burn. It says you need around 500 to go into the down draft mode. I need to wait until colder weather. During the day we burn with the doors open and screen in place so the house does not get so hot. It seems to burn real nice that way.

Reactions: Pythoncurtus
We've had "up and down" weather here in the mountains of Western North Carolina so far. I generally don't fire the stove unless it's under 30F... this coming week, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

With Envi logs, I run at bout 500-650F most times. Takes about, oh, and hour to hour and a half to get it to those temps. If I'm doing a long burn, I can just toss in a big Envi log and have a hot stove in the morning - a couple more logs, and it's back up to temp quickly.

Make sure you have good, dry wood (or Envi logs) and a good dependable thermometer on the box. I usually put a pyrex bowl with H20 on top, too, and the two Stirling engine fans do the rest to spread the heat.

Good luck, and hang in there. The Resolute is a great stove.

Just checked out your photos - first - get the gaskets in the door repaired ASAP! It'll make for better, longer burns. Seal up that box!

Status
Not open for further replies.