leather furnature in hearth room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
just picked up a new set of living room funature

does the wood stove / insert really dry out the leather furnature?

and if you guys have leather in the same room as your wood stove- do you treat it with anything so it doesn't dry out?

thxs

There are clearances to furniture listed in most manuals, if not in the stoves manual it is probably discussed in one of the code or standard books. Do you at least meet the min clearances?

jtp10181 said:
There are clearances to furniture listed in most manuals, if not in the stoves manual it is probably discussed in one of the code or standard books. Do you at least meet the min clearances?

sure but i guess i have no idea

I think what he is worried about is humidity. And yes a woodstove can dry out the air. Perhaps just a pot of water on the top steaming to replace some moisture?

Stevebass4 said:
just picked up a new set of living room funature

does the wood stove / insert really dry out the leather furnature?

and if you guys have leather in the same room as your wood stove- do you treat it with anything so it doesn't dry out?

thxs

Yes and No... how's that for an answer? It could if you let it. If the air is dry, and you are uncomfortable, then yes, the furniture will be "uncomfortable" as well. A steamer on top of the stove usually does the trick, but depending on how the air usually is in your area during the cold season - you may want a little humidifier, so "everyone is "happy". The air during the winter is going to be dry most times. Most types of heating systems (unless you have a built in humidifier) will not help the situation. A wood stove is really no different, with the slight exception that it is more of a space heater - the closer you get to it - the warmer it will be, so yes - if they are in close proximity to the heat source, more of the moisture may be driven out.

I'd probably just follow the furniture's recommendations for upkeep of it, and you should be all set. One product I'd use goes by the name of Lexol - they have leather cleaners and conditioners... It's pretty inexpensive, and really seems to work well.

I've had a leather couch sitting about 4 feet away from, and directly in front of, my insert, four or five heating seasons. I was worried about it at first, but so far, so good. It does get pretty warm to the touch, so I may give it a closer look before this heating season. If it's looking dry I may use some mink oil or armor all, or do some leather treatment investigation.

Notes: I have a whole house humidifier built into the forced air, NG furnace, and I also run a portable Sears humidifier in the stove room, so at least I have some moisture in there. My real concern is the radiated heat from the insert, which sets so close. (see: my trailer for stove and leather couch photos).

As long as you are keeping the proper clearances, it shouldn't be a big issue, however I would agree with the prior posts that a humidifier of some sort is probably a good idea. I would also consider giving the leather a little extra TLC in the form of the manufacturer reccomended (or your favorite) leather potion at slightly more frequent intervals than normal.

Gooserider

great thanks guys

We have leather and even with a steamer on the stove it started to dry out, so we bought a little 2 gal. humidifier, the leather was much better after that.

Lexol is another leather conditioner you can use and it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.