Leather Hearth Rug for Fireplace Fireproof Mat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RShim

Oct 5, 2022
Madison WI
I want to share a resource I discovered on Etsy - handmade leather rugs made in Greece and offered by LuxusRugs. We built the hearth exactly to spec and not an inch to spare, as we have a small home and floor space is premium if we want to set up a card table or such. The installers, Center Stove in Richland Center, WI (who are fantastic to work with) suggested I may want to obtain a fire retardant hearth rug as most assuredly there will be a spark or two that extends past the hearth. It has been one month to the day the stove was installed, and this did happen once. That said, my red leather fire retardant rug arrived and I could not be more pleased with its quality.
Doesn't the rug look lovely with my Pacific Energy XL? If you decide to shop the store and are think to mention my name, Rita S., I would appreciate it.
I have put my copper tea pots to use to help humify the air, and enamel coated cast iron platters are working great to heat up leftovers. I have a 6x6 barn beam in the wood shop that I hope to sand and prepare this winter for the wall behind the stove. Many friends are envious of my wood stove. I have offered to help them when it is time to select their own.

IMG_20221220_142740842 rug.jpg IMG_20221220_142929620.jpg

The install looks great. Those popping embers will happen ocasional. If you open the air for sometime before opening the door, can be helpful. Mine has a side door that lessens this issue.

The install looks great. Those popping embers will happen ocasional. If you open the air for sometime before opening the door, can be helpful. Mine has a side door that lessens this issue.
Thank you. We are not quite done as we plan to wrap the hearth base, so I painted it to look somewhat complete for Christmas. I always fully open the damper, wait a few seconds and ever so slowly open the door - as I was taught by the installers. (Also prevents smoke from coming out the door.) Only when I have been turning the coals have I had a popping ember head towards the threshold.

Reactions: RomanW
Looks good.
I often crack the door for a few seconds or a few minutes (depending on what else I have going on) and then fully open the door. As you said, turning the coals and exposing something to fresh air all of a sudden can cause popping.