Leave the stove door open for Santa?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
So we don't have a fireplace, but we do of course have the wood furnace. My daughter is barely three months old this year but in the coming years I thought of starting the following the tradition:

Our furnace is in the basement next to my workbench, so I thought what we would do is have her (once she's old enough) open the door to "leave it open for Santa" (no fire of course) and leave cookies and milk plus carrots for the reindeer on the workbench along with some wood next to the furnace. We'll tell her that Santa will come down the chimney, leave presents, and then start a fire on his way out so that we'll be snug and warm in our beds on Christmas morning. Anybody do anything similar? This is just too darn much fun. I post on a hunting forum a lot where guys set out their trail cams for Santa, dress up in a Santa suit and creep past it so wa'la-proof on Christmas morning!

Don't remember what age I was but I remember being concerned that our house only had a chimney for the propane furnace and hot water heater. Looking at those, I couldn't see how Santa could get in.

I remember questioning my dad about this after I wasn't happy with mom's response "Santa is magic" and him saying "Why in the hell would he try to come down that chimney when I leave a perfectly good door unlocked for him."

Made sense to me, I was satisfied with that.

pen

I always made sure to tell my folks to make sure the fire was out in the FP.

'Course they were always up before me on Christmas morning, and said that they did........

I guess I never really thought too much about it . . . but I do remember as a kid hearing sleigh bells and the next morning going out to find "reindeer" hoofprints in the snow . . . as an adult I realized it was my grandfather with some sleighbells and an old deer leg that he made the hoof prints with . . . of course nowadays I kind of wonder why and how he managed to keep that deer leg around and so fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.