Leaves to Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had wondered that myself but after reading up on bio-mass pellets (basically dried grasses) it seems there are some issues with the emission's, what exactly I'm not sure. I'm thinking of getting a PTO driven pellet mill sice I already have a hammer mill and thought I try to process leaves and my hickory nut husks, it;ll be next year though at least.

Just a friendly bit of advise don't buy one of those cheap pellet making machines unless you are standing along side one for a day and see what they can do for you. A stove dealer near us tried to sell them and after being over there for half a day watching it and trying to make it work decent we finally gave up.
If you want something new in your life to make you appreciate all the good things you have now then you better get one.

Ok I have to ask what do you mean by cheap? Most industrial units even used are way outside most individuals budgets unless you plan to sell mass quantities of pellets, what about the units from pellet pro? Just so I don't come off as a sucker I was going to the facility to see one run before I plopped down 4k$. But to be honest those are the only smaller units I've even heard of.

Pellet pro is the Chinese one. A friend and I were invited to a dealer who was going to sell the pellet pro to stove owners.
We spent half a day over there watching him working with it trying to make it work. It was a complete waste of time. We were there from !;00pm until 5;30pm and I doubt that he made two 40 lb sacks in that time. Just a very crude machine built very cheap. Do you remember the old time grinder s that your grandparents used. They had a crank on one side and you pushed tomatoes or whatever you had down the top with a stick and the juice or hamburger came out the side if that was what you were going to do with it? That is sort of how this is made only the outfit your grandparents used was heavier duty.
Junk is a polite description for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.