Leaving fuel in a saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southbound said:
I just take them all out now and again and let them all sit idling...

The new neighbors love it....

Ever heard 6 muffler modded saws idle???

No But would love too?

LOL. I got my ported 281 put back together and fired up last weekend. Let it idle for a while. A friend of my wife that lives a street away posted on facebook..... "sounds like your husband was playing with chainsaws today". It'll make your ears bleed.

HittinSteel said:
LOL. I got my ported 281 put back together and fired up last weekend. Let it idle for a while. A friend of my wife that lives a street away posted on facebook..... "sounds like your husband was playing with chainsaws today". It'll make your ears bleed.

lol, Think I will add some pink to the 460 to make it look slower. What you think? They say it has a calming effect!

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

lol, Think I will add some pink to the 460 to make it look slower. What you think? They say it has a calming effect!

Let your daughters pick out some stickers for it!

HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

Let your daughters pick out some stickers for it!

lol They have every color of duct tape there is even pink(there over the stickers) 13,14,15 all girls....There moto duct tape and goggle you can rule the world!

SIERRADMAX said:
How long will you go before emptying and running your saws dry? My Husky dealer said the new ethanol fuel mixture is not the greatest for these small engines but is great for his repair shop. He suggested I run any small engine machine dry if not in use for more than 2 weeks and to run High octane in the saws. Is he full of BS?

In my opinion, you should never use anything but high-test in a saw.

As to the question about emptying them, I agree with the 2 weeks suggestion.

I would recommend running your saw out of gas if your not going to use for a few months. I've rebuilt to many motorcycle carbs that sat to long and gummed up, but they usually sat for years.

I don't drain the tank, but this past summer, started buying aviation gasoline for my saw at a local airport. Definitely seems to start and run better. Not cheap, but only use it in the saw, so the total volume is not that much.

SIERRADMAX said:
How long will you go before emptying and running your saws dry? My Husky dealer said the new ethanol fuel mixture is not the greatest for these small engines but is great for his repair shop. He suggested I run any small engine machine dry if not in use for more than 2 weeks and to run High octane in the saws. Is he full of BS?

My Husky dealer said draining and running the saw dry can wreck the carb diaphragm. He said it leaves a coating on it and it gets brittle. I was told to leave a full load of stabilized gas and run the saw every few weeks. It's a nuisance, but following his advice, no problems in over 6 years. He also said to run the high octane, not for the octane, but said it has more good additives and possibly less ethanol.

High test, amsoil,seafoam or StarTron, never drained the gas in anything in 10 years. Everything still has it original hoses , carb parts, etc. Zero Problems. All stihl stuff! Just shake the tanks before starting anything that has sat for even a week.

I leave stabilized fuel in may saws over the winter, dump the old gas out of the saws in the truck at the end of the winter put fresh fuel in each saw and start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.