LED Bulbs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kill A Watt is what I have, gave me some very surprising info on electrical usage of some common household items -- especially when they are "off." Learned that the dehumidifier was the biggest electrical hog of all (and it was an Energy Star appliance!); that a 1950's era frig was an energy miser; that having the volume higher on the sound system made virtually no difference in electrical usage.

The Kill A Watt was instrumental in us reducing our electrical usage by 30% in achievement of one of our major conservation goals in 2008.

Hi Jim, thanks for sharing you experience.

While the unit is undoubtedly most useful in determining power hogs, one question I'll ask is how small a reading can you take. As the subject of this thread turned to measuring the real power of a LED light fixture, that is my current interest. As you may have read, I am able to read volt/amp but not power or power factor, and indeed small loads like 2 watts (or volt/amps) is difficult to measure with my on had equipment.

Will the Kill A Watt read as low as a watt or two?

I am not able to check accuracy on the very low consumption items. When I put a CFL rated at 14 watts, I get a 14 watt reading; same thing with a light bulb at 100 watts. I don't have anything with lower wattage.

Jim,

Thanks, that's helpful. If it reads 14 watts for the CFL, I assume it'll measure 1 watt as well. I may buy and see.

For anybody still following this, I installed an LED replacement in a 6" recessed fixture today- from Cree. awesome light- as good as a 60w lamp for .....12w
cost about $ 100

Sams club has the best selection of LED recessed bulbs About $7 each,also the candelight small base LED bulbs. THe Xmas lights are Great, but the home lighting selection is still somewhat spotty

Geez, I read most of the thread and then realized it was from 2008.
Around here in Albany, NY, there are led billboards.
Can't say if they're more efficient than the lit up versions, but they are a distraction.

I bought the LED Christmas lights. Awesome, but they give off so little heat when it snows they don't melt and you have to get them uncovered. 7watts vs 70. You can string like a million of them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.