1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lee energy solutions

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by Ktm300, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Has anyone had the pleasure of burning these pellets? This brand has a lot of dust in the bag and leaves the most ash I have ever seen in my 5 years of pellet burning. Just curious if I'm the only one that is having issues.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. POTSTIRRER

POTSTIRRER New Member

Loc:
    Conneautville, PA
    I bought ten bags..gonna give them a whirl tonight
  3. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Let me know how you make out with them
  4. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Did you get them from TSC?
  5. POTSTIRRER

POTSTIRRER New Member

Loc:
    Conneautville, PA
    Yes...color me not too impressed. i would rate them slightly above better then nothing lol...pile up in a hurry and dirty,
    Ktm300 likes this.
  6. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    At least you only got 10 bags. I have 3/4 of a ton to go. TSC said they never dealt with this company before. The manager said they were trying to keep up with demand.
  7. POTSTIRRER

POTSTIRRER New Member

Loc:
    Conneautville, PA
    I'm gonna try and exchange the other 5...the ones i got were returned also...:confused:
  8. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    The store near my house normally stocks Lignetics brand. That company also makes the TSC brand. They are good. Does your TSC have different brands than lee energy crap?
  9. POTSTIRRER

POTSTIRRER New Member

Loc:
    Conneautville, PA
    ..Yea they had somthing else before...can't think of the name....Pennington is twice the pellet these things are...so that tell you something
  10. ChrisWNY

ChrisWNY Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western NY
    I just picked up 15 bags of Lee Energy pellets and they seem ok. They're not as dirty as the Pure Fires and produce a decent amount of heat. Perhaps I lucked out with a good batch but I definitely wouldn't turn down a ton at the right price.
  11. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Good for you. So far the 26 bags I burned have been real dirty. I never tried Pure Fires but will steer clear!
  12. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Few weeks ago my HD had alot of them, unsure what they were stuck with the FSU they had
  13. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    I have enough of Lee energy to close out the season but I'm going on a research trip this weekend to find some alternatives to TSC pellets. Can you get bulk pellets in Ct? They are not available in my area yet.
  14. Mrr211

Mrr211 New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I got 12 bags of the Lee's Energy yesterday.

In Southeastern MA, I couldn't find pellets anywhere. It's my first year with a pellet stove and didn't realize just how bad it got when the end of the season approached. I saw your posts but just thought(wrongly) I'd buy 15-20 bags in Feb to get me through March. One dealer had 2 tons of New England's left but wanted $255 plus $15 delivery. I had a ton of New England's this year and thought they were ok. Not great but certainly not an Inferno type either. But for $270 no thanks. I started calling all of the Big Box stores within 30 minutes.
    Finally, after about 10 stores I found the Middletown, RI HD had 6 tons. The trip was actually about 35 minutes but under the circumstances I didn't care. I left the house about an hour later and when I arrived at HD the sales associate told me they had just opened the last 2 pallets. When I got to the area there were two pallets one had Nation's choice with 8 bags, and the other was Lee's Energy with 12 bags. I asked the guy if this was it and he said yes, they had been going quick all morning. He also said his manager said this was the last they would have for the season!! So I took them all with the exception of 2 bags of Lee's which had snow and water all over them from the leaky roof.

After giving my stove a good cleaning today decided to try a bag. I agree with others that the bags are dusty but disagree so far with them being crap. I measure the heat with a probe thermometer I have for the stove and honestly I'm averaging only 3-5 degrees lower than the FSU's. With the somewhat warmer temperatures today the stove hasn't been on all day but I measured the temps both around Noon and then again before dinner and I'm getting good heat. Can't comment on Ash yet. I

Considering my lack of choice and supply problem I am satisfied with the Lee's just for the simple fact they put out fairly good heat. If I end up having to clean a little more frequently then so be it, but at least I'll be warm.
  15. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    The heat Lee Energy pellets produces is acceptable. The ash is the problem. I usually clean out my burn pot once a day and clean out the ash storage area once a week. With Lee I clean the burn pot twice a day and ash storage every two days. It also makes a crusty formation around the air holes in the burn pot. Let me know how you make out with the ash situation. My stove is an Englander 25 pdvc so maybe your stove will do better? I never had ash like this out of any type of brand in the past.
  16. dave2112

dave2112 New Member

Loc:
    buffalo ny
    Lee Energy pellets are the worst I have ever burned yet. I don't no what kind off junk bark they make them out of. But they really suck ballzz. I think they come from down south somewhere and make their way all the way up to Buffahole somehow. Little heat. 1/4 bag is dust. I would rank them in the weak and fieble cattagorey.
    Ktm300 and POTSTIRRER like this.
  17. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Thanks Dave, just got a ton last night because that's all there izzz!!!
  18. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Let me know how you make out with Lee Energy. Maybe I'm not as crazy as my wife tells me I am!!
  19. Nor'easter

Nor'easter New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    I bought to many bags of this junk, They generate ash like I have never seen a pellet create. Its like burning dirt. Oh and I can not get these things to heat my house. Using stove chow or freedom fuels keeps my house at a comfy 70 but Lee Energy I can't get my house above 64 at my stoves highest setting. I would rather use my expensive oil hot air system than buy these pellets ever again.
  20. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    When I saw HD have 22 tons yesterday I had to buy a ton or whatever they were, well when i got there guys were picking there ordered ton's up , they were all sold out in 5 hr's, so beggar's cant be choser's, if more pellets come availble is it worth my time to load them all back up and return them?...No, I'd rather sell them on craigslist for the needy, and less educated.
    Last night my house was 68 in the living room, FSU would of been in the '70's, but they will make a good shoulder for the coming month
  21. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    I burned more energy putting them in my basement than they produce. The dust that clings to the bags is annoying.
  22. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Better the dust in the bag than on the pellets, there are some fines in mine so far but not excessive, better than no pellets!!
  23. Ktm300

Ktm300 Member

Loc:
    Pa
    Wait till you see the ash. You're right about better than no pellets.
  24. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    ash up the azz!!, overnight looks like 5 days of burning!
  25. SwineFlue

SwineFlue Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Pa
    I've been burning the Lee's for about 24 hours... they seem to be OK, so far. Temperatures are a little bit lower than average, but a bag of these burns for an hour or so longer than most.

Ash is not too bad so far. A thin layer of ash in the burnpot and not a lot in the firebox. I have definitely seen worse.