Lending/borrowing a log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post I would never ask to borrow anything I coulnt buy . . I wont lend my chain saw to anyone but I ll come over and cut all day .
I cut for coors lite . I wont lend my splitter but I come split for coors lite . lol JM

Splitting was always my bottleneck.

Not anymore.

I have friends that I would have no issue at all about taking my splitter. As a matter of fact a good friend has mine now and has had it for about two months. Its helping him out and I dont mind. I have no plans on using it any time real soon. The fact of the matter is its probably better for the splitter to be used than just sitting there. I doubt I will wear it out in my life time any way. I am sure, as true friends are, it will come back to me two fold down the road. Thats one of the great things about having true good friends.

First I make sure they can spell. Second, I make them go to town and get a new hydraulic filter and enough synthetic oil for the season to replace what's in the engine, If they can do all of the above......... Probably won't tear the splitter up by being a bonehead.... IMHO....

I share the one I use with 50 other assistant scout master of my son's boy scout troop. Its a 28 ton 12 second cycle time. When I first borrowed it, it had a very leaky cylender. I took it out and for $58 had the seal replaced. This was a deal since renting a splitter here costs $75 per day (I've use the spitter a total of three days straight).

When I returned it in better shape than I got it, the owner asked me if I could store it at my place. "No problem" I said, and now, I've got it when ever I need it. The only risk is if something else busts. What I have found is, if I do the labor, the parts for these things are very cheap compared to the value they provide. I really don't care if one of the other assistant scout masters borrows it and something breaks. I can fix it, he thinks I am genious, and I put another favor in the "favor bank".

wccountryboy said:
I fell into the "borrower" catagory, as this was my first year burning. I have access to all the wood I can cut, but spliting was holding me up. I bought wood from a neighbor this year, and he's been kind enough to allow me to use his splitter a few times to work on my own stash for next year. I make sure its always returned full of gas, and clean. A case of beer accompanies the splitter when I return it. I apprecieate my neighbors generosity, and want to maintain a good relationship. In the rural area where I live, neighors are pretty good at helping each other out. I WILL be getting my own as soon as $$ permits, probably in the spring.

Same here . . . first year burning and my Uncle was generous enough to let me borrow his splitter. In return I made sure the splitter was fueled up when I returned it and I bought him a gift certificate to a local restaurant as a simple thank you . . . even though he insisted he didn't need anything in return . . . for me it was simply a gesture to say thanks for helping.

And just like wccountryboy a splitter of my own is definitely on my wish list since I intend to be heating with wood for a long time and don't like to continually borrow things from other folks since my own philosophy is if I break it, I repair it regardless of how old the item is or the condition it was in when I borrowed it.

I have a very good friend that could ruin a crow bar in a sand pile. I kept this in mind when I built my splitter. I call it "RW Proof". He has borrowed it a couple of times. The last time he borrowed it, he had a friend from work helping him do some firewood. This friend of his is a bonehead.

The splitter came back in fine condition, but with a report that the bonehead friend was complaining that the splitter stalled on a 12" piece of white oak. "Impossible", I say. It turns out that the bonehead was using it to shear logs that were a bit too long. 12" white oak - sideways. :coolgrin:

Glad that I overbuilt it. Jeesh!

Jags said:
I have a very good friend that could ruin a crow bar in a sand pile. I kept this in mind when I built my splitter. I call it "RW Proof". He has borrowed it a couple of times. The last time he borrowed it, he had a friend from work helping him do some firewood. This friend of his is a bonehead.

The splitter came back in fine condition, but with a report that the bonehead friend was complaining that the splitter stalled on a 12" piece of white oak. "Impossible", I say. It turns out that the bonehead was using it to shear logs that were a bit too long. 12" white oak - sideways. :coolgrin:

Glad that I overbuilt it. Jeesh!
Thats a power house splitter for sure lol over kill maybe not for the bonehead (mine took better than a 1/2 just to warm up yesterday)

Well, one thing is for sure. He re-tested my welds for me. Good news is they all held. I have the relief valve tuned up to 2750 psi with a 5" ram, so this sucker is pushing pretty darn hard. And to the person who will question this: all my components are rated to 3000 psi - so its all good.

Note: most people are unaware that valves from the factory, including many already on splitters, are typically set to 2250 psi. This results in a lower tonnage splitter than "advertised". They get away with the advertising, because it IS possible to crank up the relief pressure.

Safety Note: Don't go mess'in with your relief pressure unless you have the gauges and components to do it properly.

Jags said:
Well, one thing is for sure. He re-tested my welds for me. Good news is they all held. I have the relief valve tuned up to 2750 psi with a 5" ram, so this sucker is pushing pretty darn hard. And to the person who will question this: all my components are rated to 3000 psi - so its all good.

Note: most people are unaware that valves from the factory, including many already on splitters, are typically set to 2250 psi. This results in a lower tonnage splitter than "advertised". They get away with the advertising, because it IS possible to crank up the relief pressure.

Safety Note: Don't go mess'in with your relief pressure unless you have the gauges and components to do it properly.
I would love to see pics of this MONSTER splitter. Any chance you and your gauges are heading a towards Bloomington??? ;-)

It doesn't look much different than any other splitter. It was just built with components that would allow for the increase in pressure (all components are 3000 psi capable). The beam was quite heavy, as was all the mounting components. But heck, I am always looking for a reason to show off a project that turned out good.

Edit: the pic kind of distorts the size of things. For reference, that beam is 9" tall, and IIRC that log was a 42".

Attachments

• logsplitter 002small2.jpg
    logsplitter 002small2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 354
Hi folks,

My slight variation of this is use my splitter for very valuable, good will. I have a truck, saws and splitter, so am to the "go to" guy whenever their is a tree issue. As a result, I always have a surplus of wood.

Some of my neighbors, wonderful people, just cannot work up wood anymore, so I do it for them. They give back other ways. Other neighbors pay for the snow plowing of our long lane, so I make sure that they have wood for campfires, which are a universal summer joy around here.

I was splitting up some kindling yesterday, when one elderly neighbor, was walking his dog and said, "Are you going to use all that kindling?" He looked like a hungry child trying to wangle an invitation to supper. I said, I will bring some over. What was so easy for me, (splitting kindling with a four way wedge) would be an impossible task for him.

The log splitter is like a blade on your truck when you are plowing snow. It is always the most fun to clean out somebody else's driveway.

In a world that seems to have an excess of self interest, it is good to see this topic brought up.

Dave Howell

Great job being a good neighbor Dave.
Hey Jags ,, what thickness is your splitter beam?

Jamess67 said:
Hey Jags ,, what thickness is your splitter beam?

Its a 6 x 9 with heavy web. Not sure of actual web thickness and of course the top and bottom flats are tapered. Center of the "I" is about 1/2".

I have a Super Split and frankly I'm afraid to lend it out due to it being so fast (about 2.5 second cycle times). It's a hell of a splitter, but you have to pay attention to what you're doing or it would be really easy to get hurt with it.

^ yeah I agree with that...not that I'm saying it's unsafe, but they're are those that would kill themselves to keep up with it. I take you also sell wood Wet1 do you also have an elevator or conveyor?

savageactor7 said:
^ yeah I agree with that...not that I'm saying it's unsafe, but they're are those that would kill themselves to keep up with it. I take you also sell wood Wet1 do you also have an elevator or conveyor?
No, I don't really sell wood or even have a conveyor, just have a couple extra hands on deck when I'm doing my splitting so I can rip through it pretty quick. I don't "need" a splitter this quick, but I found it used in 'like new' condition for $1400 and couldn't pass up giving one a try. Let's just say I'll never own another hydraulic splitter again and I now enjoy this part of the process (splitting use to be my least favorite part before getting the SS).

Agreed, it still had some paint on the wedge so I certainly couldn't let that deal pass! :coolsmile:

Do you ever bog the super splitter? I feel that I would when splitting 2 foot Eucolyptus.

Here and there, although I know nothing about that wood. I typically run my SS at about 2/3 throttle since it's still plenty fast, quieter, and saves some fuel as the power usually isn't needed. Occasionally I get caught with my pants down when I hit a bad knot that went unnoticed or I if I don't read the wood correctly. With it running at full throttle, I can almost always get through what I'm trying to split. The key is to hit the tough stuff twice by disengage the rack before the engine/flywheels stall out and then quickly reengaging it for a second hit. The other trick is learning to properly place the wood. There's a small learning curve with it, but once you get the hang of it, it will almost always get the job done. If wood is too big for me to lift or if if there's a huge crotch, I'll typically just take one of my big saws to it rather than deal with it on the splitter, but I've always done the same thing with all my previous (hydraulic) splitters as well. But for routine use, I find that the SS will cruse through 90% of the wood I encounter at ~2/3 throttle w/o any issues. If I need more juice I just kick the throttle up... and if I think the splitter or I might have a hard time with it, my 3120 has yet to lose a battle with any chunk of wood! ;)

I wouldn't say the SS is for everyone, but as I stated before, I'll never own another hydraulic. The SS is just so much faster, quieter, simpler, and ergonomically friendly, plus it absolutely sips gas.

If I were in the wood business, short of having a processor, I would think the SS is probably about the best splitter you could own for max production.

I have a couple of close friends/family that I would loan my splitter to. Mostly though I would just take the splitter to them and do the splitting.
I have one friend who really has it made. He comes to my house to cut wood. We use My ATVs, My saws, My splitter, and My gas!! We cut a truckload for him and about that much for me. I think in the future he better start bringing the beer.
I have another friend that I loaned my dump trailer to. I'm really picky about loaning out my dump trailer (in fact he's the only one who has had the honor). He washed it before he brought it back(It had never been washed before) and gave me a gift card for gas. He can borrow anything he wants ..... well ... NOBODY gets to borrow my saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.