lenghth of chimney....how long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moegumble

Jun 20, 2009
upstate new york
I was looking to buy a vermont castings vigilant wood stove (used) and the lenghth of pipe from the top of the stove to the top of the chimney recommended by the VC manual suggested that it should be 14 feet....as my roof is flat, the distance from the top of this stove to the surface of the roof would only be about 6 and a half feet. If I was to make the complete 14 foot run, it would be sticking up off of my roof by 7 and a half feet....Needless to say, that might be a little bizarre looking....After having read some of the postings here about drafts, would any lenghth under 14 feet, let's say 10 and a half, be a problem. My only other solution would be to put the stove in the basement....any help would be appreciated....thanks.

will it work @ ten and half a feet? yes, but not without drawbacks such slow start ups and a little smoke spillage during reloads.

thanks for the response, bluefrier...
once the fire gets going, do you think that it would burn properly....or do you think that i should definitely resign myself to the fact that the run should be 14 feet and that's it? any problems with a 7 and a half foot chimney pipe .....other than it looking a little odd? also, are all stove pretty much the same, that is, having a 14 foot run?
thanks

Of you are going to try something less, I would suggest somewhere around 12 feet from the top of the stove. That is likely to work, and if it does not then you can add two feet or so.

The most important thing would be to go straight up if possible - not turns or offsets. Use furnace cement between the joints to make sure it is tight.

I once had an Avalon stove installed in one of my stores - with an 11 foot straight up - and it drafted much better than the masonry chimney at the other store that was 24 feet....which had two turns of the stovepipe to go in.

So the key is no turns...and all should be relatively well.

Status
Not open for further replies.