Length of Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNY Joe

Jun 11, 2008
Central NY
I'm working on this season and next years supply. Cutting ash and black cherry mainly. Splitting and storing in racks and on pallets over the next few weeks.

Any limitations re length of storage with either ash or black cherry? I've heard not to store it too long before use, in comparison to other hardwoods.... Any merit to this?

Thanks.

Joe the ash will burn next season fine but my experience with BC...I think 2 years is better. imo cherry while a very good burning wood can also be a very dirty burning wood...more so than other woods if it's unseasoned.

Joe, we burn lots of both of those. We burned mostly 4 year old stuff this past winter and next winter will be some 5 year old logs.

I cut mostly ash this winter and am still doing the splitting and hope to get it stacked before May 1. I work slow. But this wood I'm working on now won't be burned for about 6 years. I do not worry a bit.

I'll leave the stacks uncovered until late fall or early winter and then cover the tops only. By the time we get around to burning it, that stuff will burn sweetly and keep us nice and warm.

As for a time limit, I'd hesitate to keep wood in a stack more than 20 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.