Lennox Brentwood Blower Control Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Jun 4, 2008
Here
Well, my Lennox Brentwood (http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=280) install has dragged on much longer than I ever imagined it would. I am doing it myself, and I got sidetracked and had to wait for the proper fireplace to come in. They first presented me with a 3-year old model they only had an air-cooled chimney connection. I had to convince them it was old from the revision date on the manual - not fun.

Anyway, on to the real problem. My blower speed control has still not come in (ordered in July!!). I am thinking about using an alternative method to control the fan.

Here is the blower manual, in its entirety:
FAN KIT
Models: UZY3/PUZY3/UZY5/PUZY5

NOTE: These fan kits can easily be installed when the fireplace has a pre-installed junction box. You just have to plug them in.

Rating: 120 volt, 60HZ , .63A
Presentation1.jpg

The fans have magnetic blower mounts. The junction box (factory installed on approved fireplaces for the use of this fan kit) must be connected to 110VAC service before permanently enclosing the fireplace.
The access hole for connecting the 110VAC is located on the lower back right exterior side of the fireplace.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Open the bottom louver of the fireplace.
2. Place the fan kit into the fireplace opening 1’’ from the back of the fireplace.
3. Install the thermo-disk fan activator under the firebox toward the right side.
Note; the fan activator has a magnetic mount.

NOTE: The fireplace must be electrically connected and grounded in accordance with local codes
or, in the absence of local codes, with the current CSA C22.1 Canadian
Electrical Code.
For U.S.A. installations, follow local codes and the National Electrical
Code ANSI/NFPA No. 70.

CAUTION: Should this fan kit require servicing, the power supply must be disconnected.

These fans do not need regular maintenance however, periodic cleaning is required. Check the area under the firebox and in front of the fans and wipe or vacuum at least once a month during the operating season.

12/05/05 - Rev. 05 F49

I want the speed control to be installed in a single gang outlet on the wall with all wires run inside the fireplace chase (hidden), so I am concerned about how the diagram above shows the rheostat connected downriver from the plug. That would mean that I have to get my wires from the rheostat to that point. This makes no sense, give the layout of the fireplace. I would have to make a new hole in the back for these wires, or run them through the louvers - strange!. The fireplace comes with a junction box built in. The instructions are to hardwire that to 120 volts and then you just have to plug in the blower. I think it would be better to regulate the voltage to this outlet on the fireplace, but I am not sure if it will work (function, not damage the motor, not be a hazard, etc.).

Since my controller is not in and I want to get this going, I was thinking of using one of these to control the voltage going to the motor:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5C344

I think this will work, but I am puzzled about why they diagram the blowers and speed control as they do. I called tech support to get specs and this was all they provided. Supposedly there are no instructions for the blower speed control (model number VRUW).

As I review my post, I realize maybe the rheostat just stays inside the fireplace, under the firebox. This would necessitate removing the bottom louver to adjust it, - maybe that is the way it is designed to be set-up? I just assumed it is a wall-mount deal. Tech support has been useless on this issue.

I was thinking having one on the wall would make for much easier quick adjustments - turn up to max when leaving room, turn down as needed for in-room activities.

Any thoughtful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

I installed the speed control on the wall next to the fireplace (the Ultima is the same as the Brentwood). The output of the control runs into the bottom of the fireplace shell to the thermal switch and the blower(s). I didn't bother with an outlet under there but you can certainly install one if your blowers have 2-prong or 3-prong cords. That's how my Majestic fireplace is wired.

Thanks for the reply. I assume that the VRUW fits inside a standard single gang box?

You don't have any specs on the VRUW do you?

I need to bug my vendor again, but this is ridiculous. I see they include the blowers and speed controls with the fireplaces now...Why can't they get one out to me in 5 months....

Pete

The correct blower is the UZY5. This is a standard stocking item at Lennox. On back order since July? Your dealer is giving you the run around.

PeteD said:
Thanks for the reply. I assume that the VRUW fits inside a standard single gang box?

You don't have any specs on the VRUW do you?

The standard speed control that most places use is meant for a standard single-gang box, yes. This page has several different ones (the 2.5A 115V one is all you need) and has a data sheet: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/kbwc.htm

The same site sells lots of replacement blowers, although your model isn't listed many of them will probably work: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/fireplace.htm

I have the blower from Lennox (UZY5). I am just going to get fan controller from the hardware store that is at least 1.5 amps. The fireplace vendor told me this morning that Lennox really sucks on delivery of some stuff.

I got the blowers themselves back in July, within 10 days.

I am pretty sure any quality motor (fan) rheostat will work. I will post back with results.

The side benefit of this route (if it works) is that I will have a combined light and fan unit to replace the light dimmer (light above mantle) I already have in place and then I won't have to put another single gang below it. There is no room for a double gang at this spot...

Pete

I plugged my first speed control for the BIS Ultima into the receptacle under the firebox. I had to remove the louvers every time I adjusted it and over time it distorted significantly from the heat. The blower was supposed to turn on at 110 degrees so it shouldn't have distorted but it did.

Now I have the control plugged into the wall next to the fireplace and run the cord through the bottom corner of the louvers.

When the dealer installed my fireplace he told me he would order the speed control. That was three years ago and he hasn't contacted me yet. I got one from Northline Express.

I have a bis panorama fireplace, been using it to heat my house thru the winter months, the blowers started acting up, squealing & making rattling noises, so I know they were fixing to go out, in my search to replace these I called the place that installed it (Hearth & Home) they informed me that it would cost me $261. for each ( there are 2) the model # they gave me is UZY5, I took one into a local electrician and he oiled it really good, a quick fix for now, but not for good, is there anyone out there that knows of a less exspensive way to help me out? My husband is checking into hooking it up forced air thru my furnace....times are relly tough and I had this fireplace intalled to save us money on our gas cost thru the winter.... HELP!!!!!

The link I gave above will cost much less, although you may not find an exact replacement. I've had limited success in "rebuilding" my blowers, they're reasonably easy to disassemble and clean. Typically they have sleeve bearings (bushings) with a felt pad that holds oil. Sometimes it runs dry and you need to add a couple of drops. But eventually the bearings seem to go bad to the point that they gum back up in a few days to a few weeks. I haven't found a source for new bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.