Lennox L30 BF-2 (B-Vent) Ignition, odd soot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a very cool unit as above that we bought years ago brand new to replace our old wood stove. All was installed and converted to LP by professionals, all inspections, etc.

Over the years I've had thermocouple replacements, a woobly extension on the control valve, and some lighter sooting and rusty corrosion. Some changes in flame appearance, some irritating short breakdowns with no clear cause, but nothing big.

Then there was last year: Gas flames changed, sometimes more blue, some lifting sometimes. Then suddenly no gas. Supplier replaced regulators in the line. After pressure test, I noticed my burner was *warped and cracked* from the pilot flame area (I'd say, big-time, see photo)!! No explanation as to why from the pros. So, I blithely began the quixotic quest for parts, which took 5 + months and hundreds of dollars and drama. New blower assembly (needed anyway), new burner, new pilot assembly (for good measure). Professional re-assembly with some DIY from me on the blower.

It was working some last week, but now it's colder. No ignition. Just pilot. AND something new and very odd: sooty particles adhering to the thermocouple! They build up quick, glow orange, then fall off leaving a nice little pile below. See photo. Never seen such as this- I'd say impurities in the gas coming through the pilot?!?

This is the derndest thing- no gas smell, thermostadt is clicking fine to the valve, air shutter looks nice and clear. Do I have some defective gas? Or low gas pressure? Plenty of fresh air around, top vented, closed/covered pro chimney liner-- or did the service guy not give full service and cleaning?

I guess my mind is blown as to what could be going on. I feel the hot gas or high pressure, or *something* caused my nice old burner to glow up and warp/crack, and perhaps the original problem isn't solved.

Any thoughts or encouragement is quite welcome.

CAM04500.jpg CAM04498.jpg
CAM04500.jpg
CAM04498.jpg

I think the soot is coming from a gas and air mixture problem. Could be a bad regulator, clogged or dirty jet nozzle, or the adjustment is off. I'd recommend checking that nozzle jet first and if its clean than I'd find out how you adjust the air fuel mixture. I don't know how if works on that unit, but usually there is a piece that can be slide to adjust the air fuel mixture. How old is this unit? Burners do fail over time and is normal because of the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.