Lennox Montage Auger fire causing blockage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genesnot

Mar 14, 2015
Connecticut
For some reason today there was a blockage in my auger, which eventually caused some residual smoldering up the chute and into the hopper. I cleared it out, and cleaned out everything I could as best I could, but it seems like there's soot and ash now blocking the auger and preventing the pellets from being released into the stove. I cleaned out the auger as best I could, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access it far in the back to clear any blockage back there. I also can't seem to get through to the top using a brush from inside the stove. Any advice on how I can clear this out? The stove is a Lennox Montage.

For some reason today there was a blockage in my auger, which eventually caused some residual smoldering up the chute and into the hopper.

Hello, welcome to the forum. Nine out of the ten times this issue is caused by restrictions in the air flow ( exhaust is clogged up by fly ash and needs a deep clean ).
Your Montage pellet stove is very service friendly with ash clean-out ports and all ( unlike my Quest Plus:( ). Have you cleaned behind the ash clean-out ports?
Ash Clean-out Ports on a Lennox Montage:
Ash clean-out ports, Montage.jpg

Have you pulled the combustion blower ( held in place by six nuts ) and cleaned the impeller and the blower housing? A lot of stuff build up in here that will restrict the air flow.
Combustion blower on a Lennox Montage:
LennoxMontageSide2.jpg

but it seems like there's soot and ash now blocking the auger and preventing the pellets from being released into the stove. I cleaned out the auger as best I could, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access it far in the back to clear any blockage back there.
This residue of soot in your auger system needs to be removed thoroughly. As you suggest yourself, it affects the pellet feed to some degree. Once this residue is away I'm sure the pellet feed will be stable.
The Montage auger system is similar to other Whitfield pellet stoves, but to clean it properly, I'm you afraid you'll have to remove the auger for a more close inspection and cleaning of the involved parts.
Overview of a Lennox Montage:
Montage.jpg

Here's a useful videoclip from WoodHeatStoves about how to examine all the involved parts on the auger system. Note: The stove in the clip is an older Whitfield with an oil-lite bronze bushing. Your Montage stove has a Nylatron bushing from factory, but apart from that all information is relevant to your stove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BKwSYJnMFLw

Do you have the original owners manual with detailed cleaning instructions, wiring diagram and much more? If not, it can be downloaded here: http://www.whitfield.com/resources/manual/Lennox_Hearth_Montage_Installation_775196M.pdf

Good luck and take care. Keep us posted
Bo

Hello
Thanks for the Tip.
I had the same problem with smoke in the montage and also found another cause. In my case the stove had straight out venting down near the ground and moisture came in and mixed with the ash under and on top of the exhaust impeller blades and then hardened up causing the blades not to spin properly!!!
There was also ash clogged up in the ash traps behind the refractery brick that the brushes could not get out! So like you said I took a good compressor and blasted the hard chips of ash out and back blowing by taking out the exhaust blower and putting the compressor hose in there too!
You can see how much more I got even after a fairly good cleaning.
Pic 1 - Hard ash on and under impeller blades
Pic 2 - shop vac hose and high pressure nozzle
Pic 3 - here comes the ash!
Pic 4 - see ash and chips of hard ash we could only get by blasting with air!

Attachments

• IMG_7957.JPG
    IMG_7957.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_7960.JPG
    IMG_7960.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7961.JPG
    IMG_7961.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG