Lennox Montage convection blower oil drip?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA_Clinker

Mar 13, 2011
Northeast PA
I noticed a small (quarter sized) puddle the first day after install (about 2 weeks ago). Wiped it up and assumed that it was just the motor breaking in. Then, earlier today I opened the side panel to hook up a thermostat and noticed a slightly larger puddle. I took a white napkin and wiped the motor housing and sure enough there was a yellowish residue.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• convectiondrip.jpg
    convectiondrip.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 178
PA_Clinker said:
I noticed a small (quarter sized) puddle the first day after install (about 2 weeks ago). Wiped it up and assumed that it was just the motor breaking in. Then, earlier today I opened the side panel to hook up a thermostat and noticed a slightly larger puddle. I took a white napkin and wiped the motor housing and sure enough there was a yellowish residue.

Is this normal?

Two things PA_Clinker, the oil ports are down and really should be up or plugged or the bearings/bushings/whatever are likely on their way out.

See what kind of motor setup you have and act accordingly.

Thanks Smokey, I just took a look at the motor and did not see any oil ports. Kind of hard to believe that the bearings could be on the way out though, since it's a brand new stove? The motor is a FASCO 70217786. I'm poking around online to see if there are supposed to be any oil ports on this unit.

My combustion blower (sealed bearing unit) was leaking upon arrival. Crap happens at times. You will likely have trouble running down that 7021-7786 unit by visiting Fasco's site that is a renumbered motor and while it probably has a different number on the site you may have trouble crossing it.

Yeah, striking out with the part # but it looks like a real common Whitfield convection blower. Here's another pic looking up towards the bottom of the motor. If you look hard enough you can see an oil droplet forming on the underside of the vented shelf below the motor.

Just for kicks I looked at the combustion motor and it's also a FASCO, but stamped "no oiling". So maybe it is excess oil weeping out during beak-in on the convection motor?

Attachments

• convectiondrip2.jpg
    convectiondrip2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 195
Status
Not open for further replies.