Lennox Montage Thermostat problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

look4life

Jan 26, 2009
Central Maine
We bought a Lennox Montage pellet stove November 2008. It works well when used with manual operation but the reason I bought it was because I was told it could be used on a thermostat. I want the thermostat operation so I don't have to play with the stove 6 times a day adjusting the heat output and also so the house will neither get too hot or too cold.

Well, the stove operation is entirely unacceptable when you try and use it with the thermostat. Initial start-up and operation is fine. Shutdown is the problem. When the thermostat enters standby mode, (room is warm enough), the stove starts it's shut-down procedure. If the thermostat calls for heat again before the Hi-Lo switch opens, (typically 20 minutes but can be more or less depending on heat setting of the stove), then the stove simply finishes the shutdown procedure and shuts off completely despite the fact that the thermostat is calling for heat. You can restart it one of two ways. Press the start button or turn the thermostat down until it clicks off and then turn it back up until it clicks back on. Stove will then start and run normally until the next shutdown.

First the Lennox tech department didn't even understand the operation of their own product and even had the control board replaced thinking it was defective. Now they tell me that what I am describing is the "normal", (NORMAL!!!!!), operation of the unit and suggest that I simply turn the stove down to a low setting. Their exact words copied from an e-mail sent to me: "The stove will still be putting out good heat up to 30 minutes after the auger quits feeding so there should not be a need for the unit to have to relight in less then 30 minutes." And "If you have your unit on the thermostat and it’s trying to relight itself within the at the most 30 minutes wouldn’t you be better off just setting your unit on one of the lower settings and just letting it run."

SO helpful. One other thing. The manual mentions in one place that there is a Hot-Start and a Cold-Start. On Hot-Start the Fastfire igniter is supposed to run for 7 minutes, on a Cold-Start the igniter runs for 15 minutes. I have verified this on MANUAL operation. The problem is that on automatic thermostat operation in the Hot-Start condition, (Hi-Lo switch still closed), the igniter does not run at all. Can someone say OPPS! Or how about SOFTWARE BUG in the solid state control panel.

I bought the same stove at the same time and just called Lennox today with the same issues. All I got when I told them about the stove not relighting when on thermostat sporadically was to use some different brand of pellets. Thanks for your observations on the issue. I was thinking my igniter was going bad. It did not seem to do this before my control board was changed though..

many of those units sold in 08 had defective Control Board. They issued an "enhanced" control board in the spring of 09. Seems there is a host of odd operational problems with the original board, one of which is the thermostat/shut down problem. The new board is totally a warranty thing you need part # H7832. Good luck

If you already have the enhancement, then your stove is prolly a lil dirty or your burnpot is crooked or something. Usually, anyways.

Yes, I already have the enhancement, that was done this spring. Thanks for the tip on the burn pot being crooked, I'll check it out.

I clean out the stove 2x a week right now which means vacumming out all the ash, taking off protective guard on the air tubes and wire-brushing them, removing the firebrick and vacumming out the vents behind it and cleaning the glass. (The glass becomes obscured after 24-36 hours of burning from ash/build up.)

I have an incredble amount of ash, pretty frustrating..

what kind of pellet are you running? You're way ahead of the curve when it comes to cleaning (thats a compliment). Do be careful of the fiber ceramic thing in the firebox they are not super durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.