Lennox Solana (BIS HE43)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMO16

Sep 13, 2012
Replacing a builder prefab fireplace in main living area of our condo. We hope to find a wood burning unit that offers balance between style, traditional open-door viewing and efficiency when doors are shut. Space is limited (prob about 43"- 45" wide max). The smaller epa units have very limited viewing area and detachable screen storage will be an issue. Lennox Solana (BIS HE43) is touted as mid-efficiency and seems to have large viewing area for a smaller unit. It also offers stowable screens. No lennox dealers in our area have one on display or have ever installed one, and brochures/website/lennox support offer very little info. Can anybody that has one of these units describe construction, door seal, burn time, heat output, pros/cons, value, etc? Suggestions of any similar units are also appreciated.

Not the most efficient stove in their lineup if that is the goal. Lennox is closing down this division. Maybe go direct to a BIS dealer and look at the higher efficiency Nova or the Tradition CE?

Thanks for response. Tradition is nice but too big. Nova has small viewing area. The HE43 is listed as 50% eff on BIS site; not too bad.... if true.

Thanks for response. Tradition is nice but too big. Nova has small viewing area. The HE43 is listed as 50% eff on BIS site; not too bad.... if true.

Did you look at the Tradition CE?

Yes - Nice, but we are looking for something with a larger viewing area. If we end up with a stovelike unit it will prob be regency ex90. Still hoping we can find something that's relatively air tight with a lot of glass.

Have you looked at Valcourt? http://www.valcourtinc.com/products.aspx?CategoId=20

There are 3 high efficiency units available (EPA Washington State). The small Saguenay has a solid door that once open disappears into the side for full open fire viewing.

The Medium size Lafayette (2.5 cu ft) has the largest fire viewing area for its size. It retails below $3,000 kitted all black. More if you get the fancier faceplates. Both of these Vents on 6" chimney which also reduces your cost of installation.

The large Versailles is a furnace! Vents on 8"

Because of its high efficiencies these throw a lot of heat... I would suggest the 'zone heating' blower kit with any of these unless they are situated in a very large room. The Blower is a multi-speed programmable kit. It works off a thermostat and will act as a heat dump to heat another room. You can designate which room is the 'hot' zone and which is the 'cool' zone. It only adds $600 to the install.

If you want a cleaner look you can check the clean face guillotine doors from Valcourt http://www.valcourtinc.com/products.aspx?CategoId=31. Basically the large glass completely disappears and you can bring the screen door down. Now this is not as efficient but it is rated EPA decorative. You will get mainly radiant heat from this (no blowers)

I work for the company so shoot away questions if you need to.

Thanks fyrebug. The fp1 looks identical to the HE43, but again I didn't see details regarding BTUs, burn time, efficiency, etc. There are also some other interesting units I noticed on the valcourt site. Looks like I will have some research to keep me busy.

We used to burn a He43 in our showroom and sold quie a few. It's a good unit and heats quite well. We had good reports. Be sure to use the insulated pipe and not the air cooled pipe. All units sold with insulated were great, w,hen sold with air cooled pipe not as good results, mainly dirtier glass.
The valcourt would be worth looking at, they seem to be very good.
Ernie

Thanks Ernie. Are the doors cast (solid) and do they latch shut? Hard to get a good feel for quality/construction with only the website (which is a bit vague). Also, how does this unit stack up to an EPA unit with respect to heat efficiency?

The he-43 doors are steel not cast iron. They are gasketed like a wood stove an shut tightly. It does not heat as much or hold fire like an EPA unit but is a nice compromise for those who want to burn an open fire or with door closed to be more efficient.

Thanks for the info again, Ernie. For the price I was hoping the the doors were cast on the Lenox. The Monessen Monarch has cast doors with ceramic glass, maybe that's a better choice. I am looking for a "compromise" as you said since this unit is in the main living area, but I'd like to get some heat out of it too. I checked out the Valcourts you recommended, and the FP2 and FP7 look like they will fit. I really like the look of the FP7, but it doesn't look like there's any way to hook up a circulation fan - is there? There's only one dealer on LI and he doesn't have any valcourt units in the showroom. I hate to buy something without being able to have a good look and kick a tire or two. Any input on the build quality on these units?

Valcourt is kind of a sleeper brand but the quality I have seen has been really good. I like the Fp7 we have one in the showroom but not installed yet. It has the "coolness" factor. The guillotine door is so smooth! No blower but I can imagine the radiant heat would be really good. Unit has ceramic glass. Unit is more money than fp2, very contempory.

Status
Not open for further replies.