Lennox versus Enviro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bugnut

Mar 25, 2008
mountains of VA
Lennox versus Enviro We've found 2 pellet stoves that we like -- Lennox Traditions and Enviro Empress. Is the Lennox Traditions pellet stove a new model? The 2 dealers I've contacted don't know much about it. Anyone here have either of these stoves? Likes, dislikes?

Thanks!
Sandy

I haven't heard much about Lennox pellets stoves except that Lennox is new to pellet stoves.

I'd stick with the Enviro. They have a good reputation and have been making pellet stoves for awhile.

I own an Enviro Meridian that I'm very happy with.

That Traditions is a Whitfield. The photoeye technology in my opinion is a pain in the rear. I'd go with the Enviro over the Traditions.

Shane said:
That Traditions is a Whitfield. The photoeye technology in my opinion is a pain in the rear. I'd go with the Enviro over the Traditions.

Why is the photo eye a pain. I just installed a Traditions 5 days ago. The states to clean the eye every six months. Is there something that I should know about this stove?

I guess I should have qualified that statement by saying it depends on ones mechanical ability. If you can take the cover off remove the lens and clean it, your good, but I found alot of people were not capable of this. Now I will say that I replaced control boards and igniters on Whitfields probably 3 to 1 to the other two brands that I used to sell. Augers seemed to go more frequently on the Profile series than other stoves as well. The ADVII-T's were good stoves.

Yeah the photo eye is really easy is to get to. Just take 1 screw out and loosen the other 2 screws and remove the cover and it's right there. It is located at the top of the hopper. The one thing I'm going to do is machine a new screw that has a knurled surface on it so I can loosen it with my fingers. The thread will be the same size but with maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 diameter knurled head on it. This will make it easier to remove the cover. Additonally, if I accidently drop it in the auger, it will be to large to go down into the auger mechanism. I guess the key is to keeep it clean. I also have the stove plugged into a UPS which I used to have on my computer. I think this is a good idea becuase it will regulate the current during a brown out which I've heard can shorten the life span of electronics. I'll see how things go. I just started my fourth bag of pellets. So far so ggod. This Summer I will finish the hearth with slate. Additionally, I'm going to install two "thur the wall" fans so I can move the air into two adjacent rooms. I have to figure out a way to rig a thermostat to these fans so they will turn on and off with the stove. In my basement, I'm going to section off an area in my basement (10'x12') to store my pellets. In this little room, I'm going to have a dehumidifier. I'm not sure how long pellets can keep for though. I would like to get like six tons in June. This would last me probably 4 years because my stove is just secondary heat for my oil furnace. Do you have any tips on storage? Do you see any flaws with my plans? If so, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Shane said:

Not a pellet burner, but the enviro factory is only 50 klicks away from me and they do build a nice product, I just ordered one of their wood-inserts,not prettry, but damn rugged and well built. Just my 2 cents worth.

Notice you won`t find many complainers on this site complaining about the enviro products. ;-) That should give you a hint.

I have had the Enviro Empress for just under a year now and burned slightly more than 3 tons of pellets. I am very happy with it and am using it as my primary heat source. After learning the little quirks of operating a pellet stove and some slight fine tuning it runs like a champ and heats the house nice and evenly.

Don't know anything about the lennox so i can't comment, however i am a huge fan of the KISS policy. Keep It Simple Stupid, so fancy photocells and eyes etc just complicate stuff and make it more expensive to fix when it breaks!

Tim

the green Empress----

I really like the Hunter Green color of the Lennox Traditions stove. Enviro Emprss has a color called Westport Green. Would someone post of photo of their Westport Green Empress?

I've called every Enviro dealer within 100 miles and no one has it on the floor. Actually none of them have the Epress at all. Yes, I live in the sticks! :grrr:

Thanks!

Heating approx 1500 sqft 3/4 finished basement, 1st floor and 2nd floor with loft, all open style house with a large spiral staircase in the center. House is well insulated with 2x6 construction about 26 years old. Have not had any problems with enough heat except when the temp dropped below 5*F at that point the stove could not raise the temp and it slowly dropped. (Ie around 5 pm house was 70 and at 6 am down to 67* with it cranking at high) It only got that cold a couple days, so no big deal for me.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.