Lennox Winslow Pellet Insert - Location in a Raised Ranch (upstairs or downstairs)???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatrago

Aug 1, 2008
CT
Just purchased and awaiting install within a few weeks. The Lennox Winslow insert claims to heat up to 2000 sq ft and crank out a max of 38,000 BTU. My question is about location for the insert. I'm fortunate (I guess) enough to have a fireplace in both my finished basement and my living room right above it. Raised ranch, 600 sq ft downstairs (just the finished basement) 1300 upstairs.

The salesperson at my local store recommended putting it in the basement and it would heat the entire house. It was also recommended to cut one or two vents in the living room floor to help move that hot air from the finished basement. My question is does it make more sense to put it upstairs in the fireplace in the living room where we spend all our time or try to heat the whole house from the basement?

A few things to consider:

The fireplace upstairs is plummed for a fake gas log fireplace, so I assume that all has to be removed if the insert is going in there? Is that easy to do myself or does it require a professional?

We have two zone oil heat (which is what I'm trying to minimize) so if I put the insert upstairs, it will basically heat the 1300 sq feet upstairs no problem, and when we go downstairs (which is never) I can use oil if needed to just heat that room.

Eventually when we have children the room downstairs will be a playroom/and will be used a lot more, so I'm trying to look ahead and see what would make more sense in the long run in terms of efficiency.

I realize there is a lot of info here, but basic question is can the insert heat the house from downstairs effeciently? If so then I'll probably stick it down there, but if I'm really gonna be pushing it to heat upstairs that way (where we always are) then it should go downstairs.

Thanks in advance for responses...great site!

Status
Not open for further replies.