Les Stroud’s "Off the Grid"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
I happened to catch this on Planet Green the other day - it was filmed in 2006 after snowshoes and solitude. If you're a fan of Les Stroud, this shows the 150acre farm he bought, and he's got two woodstoves. One for the cabin, and one for the outhouse. He goes through what it takes to be green, and off the grid.

http://www.documentarywire.com/les-stroud-off-the-grid

I wish my toilet was preheated by wood.

His stack is too short. How did that get by the inspector? %-P

Yes he is off the grid but how much did that cost? He couldn't afford the $9000.00 for the well, but he could have a Helicopter bring in supplies for his cabin.

Cool story, nice that his wife went along with it!!

I saw that Show ,Watched it twice, Interesting though you dont have to be out in the middle of nowhere to be "off the grid" you could do that wherever you can put up a windmill or solar panels.
Les is good but he was outdone by the guys who hooked up a wood boiler in the back of a pickup truck piped the wood gas into the engine and drove across London on 1 load of wood.Craziest thing i ever saw but it gets you thinkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.