Less expensive Rear-Venting woodstove Manufacturers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmoff

Sep 12, 2008
I am moving into a house that has the fireplace converted to woodstove use with chimney pipe that comes out of a 90 degree elbow in the rear of the fireplace, so the chimney comes straight out horizontally to the front.

Previous occupant had some form of woodstove hooked up(-and left me all their old creosote!), allegedly with the rear of the box resting partially in the fireplace and on the level stone surface in front of the fireplace (I'm a newb, so I don't know what it is called) and with the front legs supporting the rest of the weight-legs on tiled fireproof floor section.

It seems I need a rear-vent woodstove to utilize this particular setup, putting in another elbow to fit a top vent would make that two 90s in one chimney and that seems undesirable from what I have learned researching wood stoves, in addition to the fact that a top vent would require the stove to be located further away from the hearth itself, reducing available space in the room.

I am aware of the rear ventability for Vermont Castings and their Dutch West line, and some Jotuls.

Brand new these items are beyond the current price range that I can afford.

Can someone tell me if there are any other, less expensive rear-venting woodstoves/woodstove manufacturers out there?

Thank you immensely for your help!

I was under the impression that inserts are not as efficient and require a blower fan to operate- no good if power out.
I might have been wrong about the Jotul pricing- what do they generally cost, specifically for one that covers under 1000 sq. feet?
Thanks again.

Maybe it's best to start from scratch and define the house including square footage and floorplan. Knowing the home's location will also help. If you can post a picture of the current setup that would be helpful.

A few of the Hearthstone and woodstock stoves vent out the rear. My heritage is switchable from front to rear. Yes, inserts are, well, less desirable for the reasons you stated. However, it might be the best option for you. For me, I couldn't stand the noise of the blower.

Ok gents, had a chimney guy come and check out the "woodstove chimney" in the house I am supposed to rent.

Bottom line is that the current stuff is not to code, galvanized aluminum or something like that, a dangerous and poorly done jury-rigged job unable to handle a woodstove, according to the tech.
It needs to be completely redone.

I'm not sure if the landlord will be willing to pay to have it done- estimated at $1200- and I can't drop that kinda cash right now (though it seems like a decent price for the work to be done) in addition to buying a new stove, moving expenses, life, etc.

On the bright side, it seems that after the chimney is relined (maybe only if flexible pipe is used?-not sure) a top-vent stove could then be used, expanding my options stove-wise dramatically if the problem is fixed.

Currently considering maybe self or landlord installation of relining pipe and stove. I have to research it more on this and other sites.

Any recommendations/ comments regarding chimney liner kits, 20' length roughly?

I'll probably start another thread about this situation, and I'll try to include all the info suggested by you guys.

But in the meantime, any and all comments are appreciated.

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.