Less Gloppy Way to Good Thermal Contact in Multi Sensor Thermowell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
The thermowell in my new boiler had two sensors in it. I think I can fit a third. Is thermal grease the only way to assure good thermal contact, or is there a less gloppy way? Maybe a homemade copper shim or copper wire to apply sideways pressure? There was no thermal grease when I looked at it and no cap on the well.

The thermowell in my new boiler had two sensors in it. I think I can fit a third. Is thermal grease the only way to assure good thermal contact, or is there a less gloppy way? Maybe a homemade copper shim or copper wire to apply sideways pressure? There was no thermal grease when I looked at it and no cap on the well.

Sure, good conductive contact is what is needed. The grease also elimiates any corrosion between the well and sensor which could hamper the conduction down the road. It serves multiple functions.

If you cut open a thermistor end you will find they a filled with a transfer compound to assure good "connection" it just a good practice to assure you have accurate, long lasting readings.

It is available in small quantities with easy to apply applicators if you search around.

The Dow 111 is and industry "go to" compound is a easy to use squeeze tube.

http://www.acousticpc.com/zalman_zm_stg1_thermal_compound.html

Status
Not open for further replies.