Less nut meats in the last batch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
As many of you know, I burn Hazellnut shells in my two Whitfield stoves.

Well a couple weeks back I got my last FILLEMUP for the season and topped off the storage to take us well into next fall and time for the new crop.

Sooooooooo
The first batch of about 4 tons of shells last fall had a large amount of nut meats in it as there was some mold in some nuts and they sent them to the waste.

The nut meats have a lot of oil in them and burn quite a bit hotter than the shells, even though the shells are hotter than most pellets.

This last batch is pretty well clear of meats and its noticeable.

The meats tend to cause an oily FLOW into the pot that causes a larger clinker to form over the course of a day or so.

The large Whit is pretty good about keeping a fairly clear pot for up to a day or two, but with the large quanitity of meats, I would need to clear the clinker once a day.

Have had much warmer weather the past few days and dropped back to the small Whit and it really does not seem to care much, it needs its pot cleared twice daily no matter what I feed it.

Snow forcast for early this coming week, Spring is over for now (last two days were 60F + )

Looking forward to late spring and a time when I can do a tear down on the to Whits and pull some maintenance and ready them for next fall.

This past summer, all I did was a good cleaning and let them sit until fall.

This year, I need to replace the fire back in the large whit, plus remove the room air fan and blow it out good and do other stuff inside.

I also want to put in a stock of spare parts too.

Trying to do repairs during the winter, especially if I have to search for parts is not my idea of fun.

As these Whits get older, parts are going to be tougher to get me thinks.

Having a spare room air and exhaust fan sounds like a good plan, plus a feed motor.

Both whits use the same feed motor, so thats good.

Some gaskets and other tid bits won't hurt either.

Yessss indeed, a day in the life of a Pellet stove owner.

Snowy

Snowy,

Keep an eye on the surplus places for spare parts.
Even if they are not "exact" replacement They may work out ok or better.

Surplus Center
http:/www.Surplus Center.com

CSH Incorporated
http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/3462

Or buy a "spare stove" for parts or replacement.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

I will do that.

Thanks for the link

Snowy

Oh yeah Buddy

I have a source close by for them.

Snowy

Hi snowy have had the stove up and running. Now waiting for the latching relay. The schematic made it real easy to wire up. One quick question on latching relay tie in are you using a seperate momentary switch to reset or are you using the main momentary switch to reset the relay. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.