Lesson learned, passing it on...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
I wish I had known these things when I first built my system.
I made my own unpressurized storage system and copper heat exchanger coils like STSS ones. I used a coil winding rig that I saw here and tied them up with high temp plastic pipe and tie wraps, something else I saw another person here doing.

Well it turns out that plastic tie wraps don't like 170+ water over extended periods of time. I couldn't figure out why I was only getting 150 degree water out of the tank when it clearly said it was 170 at the top. When I opened up the tank for a peek I saw that all of the tie wraps had broken and the coils had accordioned to the bottom, so for practical purposes I was only using the bottom half of the tank.

So over the weekend I had to drain the tank down most of the way, don my swimsuit and re-tie all four coils (two for the boiler, one for DHW and one for future solar) with copper supports and 14 ga copper wire. All of the plastic tie wraps were brittle and would crumble in your hand.

Bottom line: really think about the high temp application when you design a system.

Greg H

I was wondering when I seen some of those, they are usually not very UV resistent either, unless you buy the good ones. Still I will stay away from them. Thanks for confirming that thought.

Always, always, always use O2 barrier pex as at somepoint you may change systems....

Status
Not open for further replies.