Let me introduce myself (new member) and tell you my story.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

otrip

Nov 20, 2008
WNY
I'll start off by saying this is a great place.
I found this site when I was searching the net a couple months ago looking for information for my situation and haven’t stopped reading since. I have no idea why it took me so long to register. I suppose it's because most of what I ever wanted to know was answered with a search. So it's about time I stopped lurking and thanked everyone here.
My story is I own a 1050's 1900 sq ft ranch house in WNY. Former self employed small landscaping and snowplowing business. Gave it up a couple years ago when I injured my back and couldn't do all the labor that comes w/ the job. I'm fine now though. I Have always had lot of wood from our 2 acre 1/2 heavily wooded property. Most always burned a few times a month in our original, built in Heatilator steel fireplace with the 2 vents on each side in the basement.
It was in pretty bad shape and put out little if not negative heat. The damper had rusted off and fell apart years ago but still usable. Only burned a handful of times last season and a good thing too. As when I checked out the fireplace a few months ago I realized the firebox was warped a couple places in the back. On further inspection part of the smoke shelf fell in when I poked it with my hand. I also noticed a couple cracks in the firebox as well. Obviously I could no longer use it, as I value my house, property and most important our lives.
Because of it being older as well as the same brick as the outside of the house that can no longer be found or even closely matched. I decided to research inserts in the net. Eventually I came across here and was amazed that there are so many "burners" at one place on the net. I read the reviews, took down my measurements and in early OCT. I started my search for an insert. Made a bunch of phone calls to hearth shops who told me to either stop in, set up an appt, or flat out told me that couldn't do an install until next year. Then I headed out to check them out in person. Lets just say dealers in this area are pretty lame. A couple places advertised wood burning inserts but once in the store told me they only sold gas inserts and wood stoves. Couple other places had absolutely no customer service skills what so ever. If I walk in a hearth shop and say I'm interested in a wood burning insert. I expect a little bit more than the manager to walk me over to them and say we have this one and the upscale version and know extremely little about the products they are offering for sale, but clearly not trying to sell. One hearth shop didn’t even offer installation on their products.
Finally made it to the place I originally thought would be the best and they defiantly were. They took their time, explained their inserts and answered every question we had. They are also the areas Regency dealer, gave us a great price and would be able to do the install the next week.
We have had quite a few chimney fires and idiots burning their houses down w/ hot coals in the area recently so I defiantly wanted them to do the install check everything out. Can never be to safe when it comes to playing with fire.

I ended up with a Regency I2400, blower, cap & liner installed for about $3,400. Install took about 2hrs then they fired it up and went over everything with us .
I can't believe the heat this thing puts out. Our furnace only kicked on once this afternoon and it's 28 outside. I turned off the furnace a couple hr's ago to see how well it would be able to maintain the house on it's own. It's about 75 downstairs and reading 63 on the thermostat upstairs right now.

Thanks guys.

BTW: anyone else from WNY here?

Welcome to the forum Otrip.

Sounds like you had to do some shopping but got what you wanted. It also sounds as if you are one who likes to think things through and be logical....and safe with wood burning. You'll fit right in here. Congratulations on the Regency. Now go cut some wood! lol

Greetings otrip and welcome to the chaos :) .

It is nice to hear of a good sucess.

We have one of those little fireplaces that you have replaced. I agree, you could get better heat output from burning dinner on the stove. Since we started using this new stove, there is no looking back.

Not from WNY, but I do have the same Regency insert. The first time I used it, there wasn't much happening (small fire) with the blower just blowing warm air. Then after another 30 minutes, it really started to kick in...

I let my kids toast marshamallows too :)

Yeah, I like to be an informed shopper. Customer service and honesty is most always the deciding factor with me.
Wasn’t planning on an insert until late in the year so I only have a couple cords split & seasoned.
Have quite a bit cut to length that needs to be split and seasoned, Figure I'll rent a splitter in the spring for a weekend unless I find a great deal on a new/used one.
My next step will be getting a couple thermometers, for both the room and the stove itself as well as a better utensil set.
People around here think you can only burn hardwood and have to throw away everything else. Heck after the Oct storm a few years back there was free wood everywhere and people were still buying from the dealers. Doesn’t make too much sense. My neighbors don't like the fact I'll burn "junk wood" he thinks its bad for my "new insert". I just ignore him as wood is wood, free is free and I like free.
Some burns better than others but as long as it's dry, seasoned and I maintain the chimney/insert I don't see a problem. of course this is the same guy who remodeled his entire house one summer only to find out he screwed up the roof and it leaked everywhere inside. He'll be getting another laugh when I show him my gas bills for the winter come spring.

otrip said:
...Customer service and honesty is most always the deciding factor with me...

Almost hard to believe you ever find anything to buy. %-P Welcome to the forums! Rick

otrip,
welcome, I am also new to this forum, one of the reasons I went through with getting a pellet stove was because of this forum. I have never seen so many people willing to help. I just like coming in and reading the comments, I am definitely learning a lot. My pellet stove is going now, we have a blizzard outside, and all is well,,,,,,,,

fossil said:
otrip said:
...Customer service and honesty is most always the deciding factor with me...

Almost hard to believe you ever find anything to buy. %-P Welcome to the forums! Rick

Your telling me. All I really ask is that people be upfront with me and let me make my own decision rather than tryng to convince me into buying something I don't need or want, they know little about what they are selling, don't beleive in the product themselves and wont help me out sould I have questions or problems down the road.

People from the metro NY area think anything north of Westchester is WNY. When we split the state that's where we'll draw the line.

I'm from the Albany area. I'm guesing you're form somewhere past Syracuse. Go Bills.

gerry100 said:
People from the metro NY area think anything north of Westchester is WNY. When we split the state that's where we'll draw the line.

I'm from the Albany area. I'm guesing you're form somewhere past Syracuse. Go Bills.

Yep, I'm near Buffalo, land of the highest taxes and poorest people.

Welcome to the forum. I live in Central Ct and recently installed a I3100 and like you I am quite impressed with the way this thing cranks out the heat! I'm glad that you're happy with your purchase. Enjoy your upstate winter!
:cheese: :)

Welcome to the forum. The more the merrier.
Wheres the pictures of that insert with FIRE in it!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRE FIRE FIRE

One of the cracks in old firebox.
Where the damper should have been.
old smoke shelf.
Most of that is burnt rust.

Attachments

• 232657417221_0_0.jpg
    232657417221_0_0.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 232657213445_0_0.jpg
    232657213445_0_0.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 421
  • 232657351429_0_0.jpg
    232657351429_0_0.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 412
Sorry for the quality (camera phone).
Hope this works. I'll snap some better ones soon.
Any suggestions for cleaning the brick from 50+ yrs use of the original fireplace?

Attachments

• 232661785733_0_0.jpg
    232661785733_0_0.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 420
  • 232661861765_0_0.jpg
    232661861765_0_0.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 433
  • 236277460485_0_0.jpg
    236277460485_0_0.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 420
  • 236277466245_0_0.jpg
    236277466245_0_0.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 418
otrip said:
Yeah, I like to be an informed shopper. Customer service and honesty is most always the deciding factor with me.
Wasn’t planning on an insert until late in the year so I only have a couple cords split & seasoned.
Have quite a bit cut to length that needs to be split and seasoned, Figure I'll rent a splitter in the spring for a weekend unless I find a great deal on a new/used one.
My next step will be getting a couple thermometers, for both the room and the stove itself as well as a better utensil set.
People around here think you can only burn hardwood and have to throw away everything else. Heck after the Oct storm a few years back there was free wood everywhere and people were still buying from the dealers. Doesn’t make too much sense. My neighbors don't like the fact I'll burn "junk wood" he thinks its bad for my "new insert". I just ignore him as wood is wood, free is free and I like free.
Some burns better than others but as long as it's dry, seasoned and I maintain the chimney/insert I don't see a problem. of course this is the same guy who remodeled his entire house one summer only to find out he screwed up the roof and it leaked everywhere inside. He'll be getting another laugh when I show him my gas bills for the winter come spring.

otrip, you are doing things right. Those who think you can only burn hardwood know very little about wood heating. I remember one particular winter when we burned almost 100% dead poplar! True gopher wood if there ever was such a thing, but we kept warm and the cost was pretty darned low!

As for the splitter, I used to enjoy splitting wood and it was great exercise for winter time. However, after injuring the back, splitting by hand because just too much so I finally broke down a bought a 20 ton splitter (Tractor Supply). Wow!!!!! It is nothing short of fantastic!

Now when I split wood (spring), I put a hunter's hot seat on milk crate and sit! With my left hand I reach the wood on the stack right next to me and just roll it onto the splitting plate. With the right hand I reach up to a little handle and watch the wood magically being split apart. What a great and fast way to split wood. And for making kindling, that splitter can't be beat. Quick and easy

While splitting, when I come across a piece that will make good kindling, I simply slice 4 sides; that is, remove the bark and a little wood leaving a square block. Then I split about 1" slices from this block. Then the 1" slices get split (usually holding 2 or 3 of them) into 1" pieces again leaving us with a bunch of 1" x 1" pieces of kindling. I like to use soft maple for this as it splits very nice and when dry makes excellent kindling.

Also when finished splitting a big pile of wood, there are always a bunch of splinters laying around. Those can be raked into a pile and then saved to also use as kindling. Just let them season as you would regular wood; that is, at least through the entire summer.

Good luck to you.

Otrip, welcome to the site. You're probably hooked now, because even after you are up and burning there's still much to learn here. I think you did well on your price and sounds like they treated you right. I bought my setup 5 years ago now and paid more than you (prices only keep going up). I'm over outside Rochester, too, so not far away. I try to heat my house (over 2,500 sq. ft.) with a Quadrafire insert and with this cold weather I haven't been able to keep the house over 67 with it, but that's not too bad, right?. When the temps get in the mid-high 30s this weekend and I'm home all day I should be able to get it back to 70. My house is not the best insulated.

Good luck and be warm.

MarkG

Status
Not open for further replies.