Let me see your rack!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
So the other day I look out the window and the Mrs Remmy is looking at my wood pile.... this cant be good. She wants the wood cut this winte to go into racks instead of on pallets. Im ok with this since right now theyre not single rows. So let me see your rack! Trying to decide what we want it to look like.

Also, My math is crap and Im tired... So if some one can make it easy, How long will I need to make a 4ft tall rack equal a cord? lets say the splits are 16" (most closer to 18" and if I cut it 20").

(and on an unrelated note, Mrs Remmy just accepted a job offer after being unemployed for 18 months! Now I can buy all the wood processing toys I want!)

Remmy122 said:
So the other day I look out the window and the Mrs Remmy is looking at my wood pile.... this cant be good. She wants the wood cut this winte to go into racks instead of on pallets. Im ok with this since right now theyre not single rows. So let me see your rack! Trying to decide what we want it to look like.

Also, My math is crap and Im tired... So if some one can make it easy, How long will I need to make a 4ft tall rack equal a cord? lets say the splits are 16" (most closer to 18" and if I cut it 20").

(and on an unrelated note, Mrs Remmy just accepted a job offer after being unemployed for 18 months! Now I can buy all the wood processing toys I want!)

Congrats on the new job! To answer your question 24' single rows if 4' high and 16" wide.

I am sure you have seen mine... But I will post again.. They are "Rutland" "Stack-n-Store" Rack brackets.. I got them from www.northlineexpress.com

I made them 12 ft long, by 4.5 ft tall.. at an 18" average split size.. Its about .63 Cord (Little over half/about 5/8 cord)... Added some landscaping timbers around the whole area and then some river rock to top it off.. Cost a few bucks to do it.. But in the end, it looks alright.

Attachments

• Basement install 7 (Wood from house roof).jpg
    Basement install 7 (Wood from house roof).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 1 firewood rack.jpg
    1 firewood rack.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11,233
  • 1 Ash 2 Oak #2.jpg
    1 Ash 2 Oak #2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 8 Racks of Firewood Full.jpg
    8 Racks of Firewood Full.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,167
Looks like a wood farm...nice!

Littlalex

Adabiviak said:
Is that a propane tank I see tucked between the racks there?

Yep... My way of sticking it to "The Man" (Propane Man that is..) That tank was for the garage/shop. My garage is almost 50' x 50'. Split in half. Half is a 3 car garage-Half shop. LP tank for the house is on the opposite end.

DexterDay, If you have a Menards near, the stack n' stores are $11.99. Just picked some up couple days ago.

Who would show pictures of their wood racks after DexterDay posts those lazer-straight stacks? Even if I had a rack I wouldn't embarrass myself.

I say whats wrong with pallets?

Right now ours is double stacked, two rows deep on a pallet, inbetween the poplar tress on the sidw on the house. Nice part is they make a useable fence. Love to stack it 8ft to get some privacy...

Congrats on the job, even though she already knew that...

Got 3 of the large racks in the yard...building a 4th. The smaller rack sits on the porch right outside back door for convenience.

Attachments

• SSPX1182.jpg
    SSPX1182.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,293
  • IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 2,456
That propane tank in the firewood storage area is one of my all time favorite pictures.

Mine is heated!

Attachments

• caddy 1.jpg
    caddy 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,183
  • caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,178
Pretty sad when a thread titled like this doesn't leave more guys more disappointed . . . heck, most folks are downright excited to see these racks. ;) :)

Stax said:
That's sweet smokin.

Thanks, it holds a cord of wood and I used 2x2..... ;-) (4 year's old)

How about a rack made of pallets?
DSC06776.jpg

There's another propane tank for ya.
DSC06785.jpg

I'll ask Mrs. Flatbeford if I can post her rack here.

Flatbedford said:
How about a rack made of pallets?
DSC06776.jpg

There's another propane tank for ya.
DSC06785.jpg

I'll ask Mrs. Flatbeford if I can post her rack here.

You want me to post it? :lol:

No cost involved in building these. Each one holds 2 cord. Originally I planned on one cord (takes 3 rows to make a cord) but was running out of space so just added on to one end. Under each stack are two poles that we cut in the woods. Most are around 4" diameter. I usually cut just a few each year as after a few years they get a bit punky and break apart. Also, I usually end up cutting the soft maple saplings and they don't last too long but we have lots of them. Galvanized roofing is used for covers and those cost nothing as they are from old farm buildings that were torn down.

Wood-2009c.jpg

I aint sayin nuthin'. What I've seen of Mrs Flatbed leads me to believe that I would enjoy seeing her rack posted here. . . if she ever allows it ;-)

You would. :coolsmile:

Nothing wrong with pallets, and nothing wrong with racks made from pallets. I just have no clue how much wood I have or how to calculate I burn in a year, mainly due to laziness.

I like what Im seeing, and I also see that alot of folks are using the store bought brackets. My only concern is that my property has a slow slope and dont know if Ill be able to correct the slope with those buggers. Id also like to get the wood up off the ground a bit more than the pallet (and from what I see the store bought brackets) allow.

I used pallets. Two pallets on the bottom, two pallets on the back, one on each side, 2 x 4 on the front at an angle on each side to hold it together. Holds 2/3 cord stacked 4.5' high or so. I have two built and plan on having 6 total when I'm done. The rest of my wood is on railroad ties right now. No pics because I'm lazy, and it's also a mess lol. Once I get all my racks done maybe I'll share some pics.

My hardwood is air dried on pallets.
004.jpg

I tried stacking my softwood the same way, but found it got a bit moldy with so much rain.
So I just build a free pallet woodshed, and plan to build a couple more. 1.2 cord/shed.
003.jpg

Hope you post pics of your project!

Status
Not open for further replies.