Let me see your rack!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood Duck said:
Who would show pictures of their wood racks after DexterDay posts those lazer-straight stacks? Even if I had a rack I wouldn't embarrass myself.

+1 :lol: I've been looking at those pics all day and still can't figure our where the transit and survey poles are. LOL. I really like the planning that went into putting down gravel and keeping things looking great. Your neighbors must appreciate that.

I only have one rack under the eave of my yard/wood/storage shed. The rest is end stacked.

Attachments

• Stacks.jpg
    Stacks.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 845
  • stacks 1.jpg
    stacks 1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 876
  • yd shed.jpg
    yd shed.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 875
  • yd shed 2.jpg
    yd shed 2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 835
[quote author="heatit" date="1318475019"][quote author="Wood Duck" date="1318436122"]Who would show pictures of their wood racks

After seeing all of these pics, I realize that mine looks like crap! Then again, this is our first year burning and my kids did the majority of the stacking. You can look at the stack of my Apple and see where I started and my kids left off. :) I really should tear everything down and re-stack it all. I like the idea of using pallets on the sides over the posts. I'd like to make it look at nice as possible so as to be considerate to my neighbors.

Most of my wood for burning this season is in my 4 greenhouses now, not on racks or anything remotely neat.

In fact, I'm almost ashamed at how untidy they look after seeing everyone elses neat stacks.

Think I'll just take it all out and burn it ;-)

IMG_8399.jpg

I tried going 2 deep on the one section by stacking diagonally. Not sure I like it.
These are in the side yard, so I'll keep it looking presentable. Out back I've started stacks between some of the cedar trees with old deck boards underneath to keep them off the ground.
woodrack.jpg

woodchip said:
Most of my wood for burning this season is in my 4 greenhouses now, not on racks or anything remotely neat.

In fact, I'm almost ashamed at how untidy they look after seeing everyone elses neat stacks.

Think I'll just take it all out and burn it ;-)

IMG_8399.jpg

beautiful, and...
....how do you NOT break any glass?

My rack. 8 Cords.

Attachments

• DSC04873.jpg
    DSC04873.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC04876.jpg
    DSC04876.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 656
4th rack is almost 1/2 full now. Need to make another National Forest run. Each rack is 29' long or so, 1.25' wide, and stacked too close to each other, I know.

tumblr_lru1h1oEcT1ql8e8jo1_1280.png

Beautiful racks and stacks. For me, it goes against my grain as a scrounger to pay for anything so I'm unlikely to buy nice lumber, brackets, etc for build racks.
I bring home a pickup load of pallets every now and then and have plenty on hand. I stack back on the edge of my woods, not in my back yard so I don't worry too much about aesthetics or my Bride's opinions. Actually, she doesn't mind it at all--where it is.

So, it's double row pallet stacking for me.

Last year's burn.

Attachments

• 112810 stacked.jpg
    112810 stacked.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 708
Weekly supply under covered porch and two year supply of free standing wood stacks on pallets in the back yard.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 702
  • supply.jpg
    supply.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 665
Stax said:
Feeling totally inadequate now!

I'll second that. After viewing this thread, I'm just gonna throw a match on my whole pile and start over........ :shut:

sheepdog000 said:
Stax said:
Feeling totally inadequate now!

I'll second that. After viewing this thread, I'm just gonna throw a match on my whole pile and start over........ :shut:
No way, its all good, just be inspired. You can do it and it will make you happy and warm.

I used pallets to make racks too, theres lots of ways to make it looke good with pallets other than just cross stacking on top.

IMG_1512.jpg

tfdchief said:
No way, its all good, just be inspired. You can do it and it will make you happy and warm.

So true. Before I found this place I thought I was all set after tarping the pile the firewood guy dumped in the driveway in October.

weatherguy said:
I used pallets to make racks too, theres lots of ways to make it looke good with pallets other than just cross stacking on top.

IMG_1512.jpg

That looks almost like mine except mine is only two pallets long on the bottom and I have pallets on the back side of it (short 13-14" wood pretty much requires it). I even did the exact same bracing on the front.

I need to get some pics up here.

weatherguy said:

IMG_1512.jpg

I stack the same but with a couple of differences: Two pallets on the ground/upright pallets on each end, then another two on the ground & another upright. This gives me around 8' between each section so I can lay an pair 8 foot 2x4's on top. The 2x4's are there to support another 2 pallets on top each 8' section. The top pallets then support my tarps. Doing it this way I don't have to deal with removing snow on top of the stacks. Zoning codes don't allow us to build a wood shed - this is my alternative. :)

Shari said:
The top pallets then support my tarps. Doing it this way I don't have to deal with removing snowy on top of the stacks. Zoning codes don't allow us to build a wood shed - this is my alternative. :)

That's a really good idea...I may have to do something like this. No tops this year, just tarps but we will see how bothersome snow removal is.

Another bonus to having my rows "sectioned" is this allows sorting wood by length of time it takes to season.

Status
Not open for further replies.