Let the cutting begin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I really needed some exercise today so the annual wood cutting has begun.

First order of business is to get the gear around.
Gettingready.gif

Now we decide which trees to cut. I needed to widen a shooting lane for next year's deer season so some cherry had to go.
Sometocut.gif

Although I forgot to take a couple other pictures, I finally remembered after the wood was unloaded. First load is ready to be split but that won't happen until Spring. The little ones just thrown at the end are going to stay as rounds. I didn't feel like stacking them so just threw them there.
Firstload.gif

Since taking that picture this morning I cut an ash and hauled up a load so now there are two trailer loads there. Many more loads to go yet but there is the whole winter to go too.

Dennis looks good, before long quads will be cutting again also.

zap

Ya, he'll probably start next week.

Very nice Dennis!

Yes Zap, the last day of our gun deer season is tomorrow. I can't wait to get out there first thing Monday and start cutting again. I've been selling a lot of wood, today was another busy day, and I have a couple custom orders for pine waiting until I can cut.

Thanks quads. It looks like you and I are the ones who cut the most during the winter months. I've been looking forward to it.

trailmaker said:
That's a nice trailer. What can you tell me about it?

We bought this trailer at Cabela's but there are many places that also stock them. This is the first year to use it so I'm still testing it. When I moved some splits inside the shed I figured it took a bit over 4 loads for a cord. Not sure how that will work out with unsplit logs but I'll know next spring because I'll keep track through the winter how many loads I haul and then measure the wood stacks after I get it all split and stacked.

So far I like it. The rails lift off and that is what I did today loading some big ash logs. I simply lifted off one side to load and then put the sideboards back up. The trailer is low so I did not have to lift the logs very high. I did notice when pulling the trailer that there is definitely more weight than with the trailer I had been using but the Kodiak hauled it well. The tires you probably noticed are oversize so that should help in mud and snow. It is easy to back up as the tongue has a decent length.

Here is a link to the trailer at Cabelas.
Trailer

quads said:
I've been selling a lot of wood, today was another busy day

you know on here quads, pics or it didn't happen :p Dennis, looks good. I love your "wood shed". Have you had any snow yet? We haven't had even a flurry. Temps finally starting to drop though.

Dennis' i forgot to ask, what are your tools of the trade? I see you got a cant hook saw gas, what else you take out with you in your trailer?

Dennis and Quads, welcome back to cutting. I have not gotten it down to a season yet, I have just been cutting pretty much all year, like zap. The winter will actually slow me down because of the hills around here. However, I am planning on building a pole barn this summer so there are a number of big trees I need to bring down that are close to the house, so that will become the winter project when I cannot get down to all the dead stuff.

Awesome Dennis! It's good to see you cutting!

Backwoods Savage said:
Thanks quads. It looks like you and I are the ones who cut the most during the winter months. I've been looking forward to it.

I do my cutting in the fall/winter also. I can't stand processing wood in the summer heat. The other day I dropped 2 big oaks, several beech and a couple of poplars. I'll start bucking and splitting soon. I hunt so most of my spare time is spent deer hunting at the moment :)

trailrated said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I do my cutting in the fall/winter also. I can't stand processing wood in the summer heat. The other day I dropped 2 big oaks, several beech and a couple of poplars. I'll start bucking and splitting soon. I hunt so most of my spare time is spent deer hunting at the moment :)
I cut all year, summer included, except for the October and November deer seasons.

Ohio woodburner, we've had some snow flurries but nothing on the ground yet. The tools taken to the woods are the saw, axe, cant hook, wedges (rarely used), sharpener and, of course, gas and oil.

Bert, we haven't got the new one yet. I'm hoping to sell this one first.

Rdust, I was thinking about you when I got back to that one area of ash. I keep whittling away on them so sooner or later they will all fall.

Trailrated, I don't like to drop trees ahead of time. If we do, the trees are usually all covered with snow or very wet and I prefer to work with dry wood if possible. So I cut them down the day I plan on cutting them up.

Quads, we will be expecting some pictures from you soon.

Speaking of the old quad . . . did you make a decision on what you're going to get for your new ATV Dennis?

Looks like some quality time with mother nature.

I was also working up a little wood this weekend. About 3 trailer loads like this. By the way - that is my home built trailer (obviously), that was designed specifically for wood. Balance for light tongue weight, the height is just right (no bending) and I know that I have had WELL over 1000 pounds in it (the tires are load rated trailer tires.)
And my old mule - what a little work horse. That sucker will pull till the front tires come off the ground.

Attachments

• wwagon3sm.jpg
    wwagon3sm.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 251
I think those are the same pic's from last season Dennis! j/k lol

Jake, we are close but have not yet made the final step.

Jags, that looks good. Do you ever have to put chains on the tractor?

Jay, you devil you....

Backwoods Savage said:
Jags, that looks good. Do you ever have to put chains on the tractor?

They never come off of that one. If you look closely - you can see them in the pic.

Sorry about that. I missed it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sorry about that. I missed it.

What??? You mean that crappy phone picture didn't give a high enough resolution to notice it at first glance?? :lol:

I really wish Crackberry would step up the picture quality of their phones (that sounds funny, doesn't it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.