Let the games begin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
I have six good size crates I brought into the attached garage. I use to haul one full wheelbarrow a day up from the lean to attached to my barn. When the deep fall hits I will just walk out my kitchen door, into the garage, and have the dry wood at my fingertips. A little work, but it will make the experience more enjoyable. Looking forward to what I will learn this winter burning a variety of dry wood.

Attachments

• bearded asil hen 158.jpg
    bearded asil hen 158.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 148
I more-or-less do the same thing in my basement. I haul in at least 2 weeks worth in one session (usually 5 heaping dolly's full). BUT, I made the mistake of doing that during the second week of October last year. Woke up the next morning to spiders all over the place, and the boss hates spiders! She was gonna KILL me....So now, I keep a face cord right out the backdoor, at the bottom of the steps, until it gets good and cold and the spiders go dormant. My basement is not heated, so they stay dormant when the weather gets cold. Usually the third week of November or so, it's cold enough to bring the wood in.......

I more-or-less do the same thing in my basement. I haul in at least 2 weeks worth in one session (usually 5 heaping dolly's full). BUT, I made the mistake of doing that during the second week of October last year. Woke up the next morning to spiders all over the place, and the boss hates spiders! She was gonna KILL me....So now, I keep a face cord right out the backdoor, at the bottom of the steps, until it gets good and cold and the spiders go dormant. My basement is not heated, so they stay dormant when the weather gets cold. Usually the third week of November or so, it's cold enough to bring the wood in.......

I do the same just about as Scotty, except for me it's about a week's worth in the basement and about another month's worth outside the basement door under our deck. Usually I'll pull another week's worth from the main pile each weekend (which I just use the pickup for - load it and just back up to the door). The stack under the deck is for snow, rain, sickness, etc. So even though I don't cover my main woodpile ever, it is important to have some wood under cover in the winter I think. I used to haul a few wheelbarrow loads in each evening, but I got tired of that pretty quick!

Similar for me... I have a small trailer that holds about a week's worth the wood. I load it and park it in the attached garage, pulling it with a lawn tractor. Keeps the wood nice and dry and easy to bring in without having to go outside. My wife and I love this setup!

Reactions: ScotO
My Wife is 5 foot, 105lbs......she would have an issue reaching in, otherwise not a bad idea.....takes up less space than the rack I have set up in the garage

Reactions: ScotO
I do something similar I have an 8x10 aluminum framed gazebo outside my kitchen garden doors that I enclose with 2x4s, 6mil plastic and an old storm door. Inside I gave a pallet rack that holds a couple weeks worth of wood that I can pick from daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.