Let the install begin...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nateschisler

Apr 8, 2011
Central OH
The big brown truck delivered a bunch of boxes with Selkirk printed on the side :) Might be breathing life into my PF100 this weekend!

Oh and can't leave out the purple truck...brought all my duct work from Audobon Supply...suhweet!

Good for you. Cant wait to see pics. Did you go with 4" vent? Where did you get your Easy Heats from? Sounds like you may be right around where they are made.

Yeah...4" Direct-Temp pipe (combination vent and OAK system). Got my Easy-Heats from Sally's Hearth and Home in Pataskala (where I got the furnace from). Early buy program @ $179/ton. I think they are made on the west-side of Columbus.

Yep. In South Charleston. Jealous about your 4" Selkirk.

I have my Fahrenheit Endurance pellet furnace sitting in my garage. I plan to sell it this Season. But still on the fence about installing it. Even if its not tied into the HVAC for our LP furnace and just ducted to the room that the quad is in (via one 12" vent). The Quad heats the house well from this area. Its directly in the middle of our 70 ft long Ranch.

Good luck and take a lot of pics.

Buying the Selkirk was a challenge, had to use 3 different online shops to get all the parts I needed. Don't be jealous of the vent...be jealous of the slide I made to get my 4 tons into the basement :) 4 tons unloaded and stacked in 20 minutes flat - 1 unloader and 2 stackers...

FOTONATE said:
be jealous of the slide I made to get my 4 tons into the basement :) 4 tons unloaded and stacked in 20 minutes flat ...

pics of said slide or else. :lol:

smoke show said:
FOTONATE said:
be jealous of the slide I made to get my 4 tons into the basement :) 4 tons unloaded and stacked in 20 minutes flat ...

pics of said slide or else. :lol:

Yep. Pics. I want one.

2-2x4x16
1 sheet 1/4" underlayment, ripped in half long-ways

lay the 2x4s flat, not on edge, 1 1/4 inch drywall screws used to fasten the plywood down (make sure the pieces overlap as they're going "downstream"

Fits perfect through a standard basement window. Backed the trailer up to the window, used 2-3" drywall screws to fasten the slide ot the trailer - this allowed for the ramp to terminate about waist-high in the basement, with no support underneath.

Will post pics...but this should get your wheels turning...super simple and super FAST! Out of 200 bags, only tore 1 during transfer.

heres a pic of my direct temp waitng to be installed....

Attachments

• untitled11.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 394
Just curious, why didn't you purchase the pipe at the place you got your furnace? Or another local shop if they didn't have it?

I did not buy any black pipe - all galvanized DT. My install is in my basement...up to a Tee, then 12' horizontal and out. My furnace dealer is also a Selkirk dealer but they could not (or would not) come close on price. I source from 2 different online suppliers and saved quite a bit. Yes, with a dealer, they will design the system for you, make sure you have all the parts...I sketched mine out on the back of the Selkirk installation manual :)

FOTONATE said:
I did not buy any black pipe - all galvanized DT. My install is in my basement...up to a Tee, then 12' horizontal and out. My furnace dealer is also a Selkirk dealer but they could not (or would not) come close on price. I source from 2 different online suppliers and saved quite a bit. Yes, with a dealer, they will design the system for you, make sure you have all the parts...I sketched mine out on the back of the Selkirk installation manual :)

I considered using the direct temp piping for exhaust but the intake being so close to the exhaust concerned me. There have probably been discussions about that on this board but I'd like to know what you guys think of it.

I had the same thoughts. Your exhaust is coming out under pressure via the combustion blower. Plus, I sprung for the optional exhaust elbow to direct the exhaust down and away (down wind) from the house...so that's how I rationalized it. Between the elbow and decorative cone cap, my exhaust will be exiting about 16" away from my intake, and under pressure going in the opposite direction. And then I remembered that if it didn't work, the Hearth.com Gods probably wouldn't let them advertise on this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.