Let the testing begin !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron stove

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2009
Central CT
Only have 3 bags now, but might get a few more at a later date.

J-Takeman, you up to the challenge ? :)

Blazers003.gif

Oh my my my! Douglas Fir. I haven't seen them in a long time, That there is a score! Why we haven't been able to get them in CT. just isn't right and we need a dealer to stock these! hint!

Have you ever burned douglas fir before? I would like to here what your thoughts on them first. Your first impression should be priceless! :)

I will test with you as long as the group is interested in the results?

How you score those? also sell Hot Shot pellets.
Remember the pellet stove invented in the '70's in the northwest, wouldn't you think they know how to make pellet's ?

where in ct did you purchase? i would like to try some of those.

newf lover said:
Not in CT, but I've seen them advertised at this place-
http://www.woodpelletsexperts.com/pricing.html

Thats exactly where they came from. Had a buddy grab a few for me, couldnt fit much more in his vehicle, but might get a few more bags soon.

never burned doug fir before, so it should be interesting.Ill get ahold of you jakeman, maybe find a halfway pointto meet or somthing. Looks COLDER next week !

I have 1 ton of Blazers in storage and I am using some as I type. Fortunately, HD has tons in stock at a good price, $189.

My layman level testing has shown them to be a nice hot pellet, moderate ash and very low levels of fines.

The Hot Shot brand is the same pellet package in 25lb bags, for easier handling I assume.

They do have a slight hint of cedar smell to them, much like Bear Mt.'s.

I would be interested in seeing j-takemans test results on those.

DMZX said:
I have 1 ton of Blazers in storage and I am using some as I type. Fortunately, HD has tons in stock at a good price, $189.

I would be interested in seeing j-takemans test results on those.

$189 a ton :eek: They are $325 a ton here. Id gladly pay 250--275 if theses burn as good as claimed. Will test them real soon, but today its 68 humid and raining, yuck.

iron stove,

We have a freeze warning in effect for tonight. Did you load the stove with the Blazers yet? I am curious to here what you think of them. :)

j-takeman said:
iron stove,

We have a freeze warning in effect for tonight. Did you load the stove with the Blazers yet? I am curious to here what you think of them. :)

Nope. Burning Greene team gold tonight, saving the blazers for a cold night and day. Sent you a PM, for when I can get the bags to you.

I get these too at Home Depot for $3.78 a bag or $189 a pallet. I would like to see testing on these too.

kylatay said:
I get these too at Home Depot for $3.78 a bag or $189 a pallet. I would like to see testing on these too.

Welcome to the forum. Have your burned any of those Blazers?

Oh, and how about those Ducks!!

kylatay said:

welcome....................... Wish we could get them back east.... especially at that price..

Welcome to the forum. Have your burned any of those Blazers?

Oh, and how about those Ducks!![/quote]

Yep, we burned them last year and this year. Loving the price drop.

The Ducks are doing great. Wasn't sure how the USC game was going to go, but the Ducks pulled it off nicely.

Look what I got today from iron stove! We met and did some pellet trading! hehe I might have gotten the better end of the stick though?

There going in the stove ASAP so we can see. I am very excited about these! :)

Results will be posted here and in the 2010 testing thread.

Attachments

• Blazers bag.jpg
    Blazers bag.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 317
Nice to see you Jay. My daughter was saying," 2 bags pellets for 2 bags pellets, like Silly Bands !"

Maybe one of the stove dealers should have a Pellet Pig meet and greet sometime.

iron stove said:
Nice to see you Jay. My daughter was saying," 2 bags pellets for 2 bags pellets, like Silly Bands !"

Maybe one of the stove dealers should have a Pellet Pig meet and greet sometime.

It was nice meeting you and your daughter. My wife and son aren't in to the pellet thing, But they sure had fun petting the animals the Blakslee had. They said I can go back anytime as long as they can come. But we did have fun and I got to see lots and lots of pellets. I can do that anyday.

I guess things don't change much as you get older, Well except what our toys cost. :) Will have to do it again sometime.

Thanks for testing those Blazers. I feel blessed to have such a warm pellet at a great price.

The last few years we have been using baseboard and old oil space heaters to warm up the house. It's been expensive and not very warm. I'm looking forward to keeping warm this season for a change. This old house used to have an oil furnace but I Refuse to spend any more money on oil than I have to.

kylatay said:
Thanks for testing those Blazers. I feel blessed to have such a warm pellet at a great price.

The last few years we have been using baseboard and old oil space heaters to warm up the house. It's been expensive and not very warm. I'm looking forward to keeping warm this season for a change. This old house used to have an oil furnace but I Refuse to spend any more money on oil than I have to.

Preliminary results from J Takemans testing showed 275 degree temperature, the hottest of any pellet tested so far. Be interesting to see the final results and how little ash is left.

Blazers results below. Great pellet overall, Very pleased with them. With the high heat I expected low burn length. But it was right in the ball park with the others.

Temp average 274ºF

Ash volume 6 ounces

Ash weight 3.04 onces

Ash Percentage .235%

Density 42.45 LBS.

Fines volume 8 ounces

Fines 3.36 ounces

Fines Percentage .261%

Bag Weight Bag 1 40.15 LBS
Bag 2 40.47 LBS

Diameter .257

Length 1/4 to 1 1/16

Total Burn Length: 26 hrs 58 min

Attachments

• Blazer ash 1.jpg
    Blazer ash 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 229
Wow, great results! Too bad they are so expensive in NE. I'm jealous of the people in Oregon getting them for $189/ton!

Douglas Fir is a softwood, isn't it? I was expecting "fluffier" ash than what's in the pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.