Let us play the game, Guess the MC!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dantheman300z

Burning Hunk
Dec 18, 2015
Northeast IN
image.jpeg

So two species, Cottonwood and Red Hickory. Both were split the same summer a year and a half ago now. Both trees were dead prior to bucking. The Cottonwood was 40 inches BH and the Hickory was 18 inches BH.
Left is the cottonwood. Both middle and right, hickory. I brought them inside this morning and will give them 48 hours to warm up.

Both were single row stacked, east side of my barn, under a lean to.

Winner gets bragging rights.

cottonwood 28%, hickory, 24%

14 for the cotton wood and 16 for the hickory

It got hours of morning sun. Lots of different guesses for sure!

16 for the cottonwood 19 for the hickory

I've never cut or burned cottonwood, so that one was extra-guessy. :)

I have cut, this is the first time I will be burning. Splitting is a chore I don't want to have on my list again. Most strikes are absorbed by this hellish wood.

13-28 and 17-26 are our ranges so far, though the numbers started dropping after it was revealed that the stack got morning sun.

The whole range on hickory guesses is only 9%, but the cottonwood has a 15% range.

Oh, the drama!

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Haha and the answers will be released in the morning!

It has actually been quite difficult not throwing them in the stove to see how they burn.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The hickory comes in at 12%!
And the cottonwood at an unimpressive 19%.

Thanks for playing, cherry will be next up to play the game, Guess the MC!