Let's hear about your log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cylinder did get a little warm, I wouldn't push it over the limit. I did 13 cords for me back in March & April when I first got her, then helped the neighbor with about 1 cord. Went over to my mom & dads and did about 5 cord in the beginning of May, did another 3 cord at my buddies memorial day weekend, took the summer off, did another 2 cord in September at same buddies house (he's on the two year plan lol) then literally pushed 5 cords through her these past (2) weeks at another friends who got a huge log length load, also has the older of I&O splitters. We ran (2) splittes those weekends, one would be vertical to quarter up the logs average diameter was about 20" with a few larger ones mixed in, the other would take the quarters an split them to a burnable size.

The cylinder did get a little warm, I wouldn't push it over the limit. I did 13 cords for me back in March & April when I first got her, then helped the neighbor with about 1 cord. Went over to my mom & dads and did about 5 cord in the beginning of May, did another 3 cord at my buddies memorial day weekend, took the summer off, did another 2 cord in September at same buddies house (he's on the two year plan lol) then literally pushed 5 cords through her these past (2) weeks at another friends who got a huge log length load, also has the older of I&O splitters. We ran (2) splittes those weekends, one would be vertical to quarter up the logs average diameter was about 20" with a few larger ones mixed in, the other would take the quarters an split them to a burnable size.
Man, I'd have a hard time spending that money on something I can't see with my own eyes. When I called I&O the guy was pretty much like, "I hate to say it but it's gonna be like that for a while too." Apparently they want to be more commercial than sell residential. That's what I got. I was ready to spend that much but I wasn't going to sit on my thumbs and wait hoping Id like it.

I'm pretty happy with this
Ariens. It's no 6/8 second stroke, but it is 10/11 seconds. And I'll take that over the 20 second 35 ton.

True, I just get nervous with things from big box stores, they seem to be mass produced to a scale that allows little quality control, in my own opinion, its like buying a tractor, you can get a scag, or ex-mark, or you can buy a deer from HD or Lowes and find out that the same deer is made in the same factory as the huskquvarna, cub-cadet, murry, and troy built. I went with the I&O because I never met someone that had anything bad to say about it, plus all the rental places use that brand as there rental units, so you know that they can take the abuse

Reactions: TreePointer
True, I just get nervous with things from big box stores, they seem to be mass produced to a scale that allows little quality control, in my own opinion, its like buying a tractor, you can get a scag, or ex-mark, or you can buy a deer from HD or Lowes and find out that the same deer is made in the same factory as the huskquvarna, cub-cadet, murry, and troy built. I went with the I&O because I never met someone that had anything bad to say about it, plus all the rental places use that brand as there rental units, so you know that they can take the abuse
Absolutely. I read a lot about the Ariens, which I bought from a farm supply store $200 cheaper than the dealer the next town over. The one thing I liked, is Ariens apparently takes care of warranty stuff no questions asked. And the Subaru engine. Read a lot about it and people are very pleased with it. I guess it's up there with the Honda engines.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for an I&O warranty claim?

And speaking of Exmark and Scagg, I've always had a hankerin for a ZT mower. I have 5 acres of lawn to mow and my trusty steed (1964 Cub Low Boy) just takes forever. Well my wife has a habit of "let's just get that one...3 times because it's 'cheaper'". When in the end it's not. So FINALLY she's been convinced that a GOOD semipro/commercial grade mower will last as long as that Low Boy and its worth the money; provided its taken care of.

I'm glad to report, ZT mower shopping is in the forseeable future!

Awesome on the future mower shopping, I have the paper work for the warranty info, I'll be honest, I didn't look through it, I know my guy at the hardware store told me that if I have any problems let him know and he'll call them directly being that they buy (for rentals) 5 of those splitters every other year and get all om parts through them.

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
I'm pretty happy with this
Ariens. It's no 6/8 second stroke, but it is 10/11 seconds. And I'll take that over the 20 second 35 ton.
Yep. My thinking was along the same lines, esp. as countless current and past hearth.com'ers have had the Huskee 22-ton, and all claim they've not run into many things it wouldn't split. Give me cycle time over excess rarely-needed force, any day.

Man, I'd have a hard time spending that money on something I can't see with my own eyes. When I called I&O the guy was pretty much like, "I hate to say it but it's gonna be like that for a while too."
You can see and try it, as this is a very popular splitter with rental centers. Just find your closest rental place, and you can give it a 24-hour test drive. Honestly, I have not seen any bad reviews of the I&O's on this forum, and just the fact that this is the choice of many rental shops is a testament to their durability, if nothing else.

I'm glad to report, ZT mower shopping is in the forseeable future!
I can highly recommend the JD ZTrak 757. I put a lot of miles on mine every year, and after almost 6 years I'm still a year off from hitting the 500 hours yearly design usage. It's fast, fun, and a very solid machine, if you have the pocket book for it.

Yep. My thinking was along the same lines, esp. as countless current and past hearth.com'ers have had the Huskee 22-ton, and all claim they've not run into many things it wouldn't split. Give me cycle time over excess rarely-needed force, any day.

You can see and try it, as this is a very popular splitter with rental centers. Just find your closest rental place, and you can give it a 24-hour test drive. Honestly, I have not seen any bad reviews of the I&O's on this forum, and just the fact that this is the choice of many rental shops is a testament to their durability, if nothing else.

I can highly recommend the JD ZTrak 757. I put a lot of miles on mine every year, and after almost 6 years I'm still a year off from hitting the 500 hours yearly design usage. It's fast, fun, and a very solid machine, if you have the pocket book for it.
Just so I don't get stuck on the phone with a dealer...how much are we talking? My pocket book is about $8000 deep.

In 2008-9 when I was in the market for a new splitter, I strongly considered I&O 20-ton fast cycle model. If a super good deal on my Huskee 35-ton (15s cycle time, B&S engine) hadn't come along, I would have pulled the trigger on that I&O.

It's funny you mention ZTR's. My 500 hour Husqvarna lawn tractor was falling apart and is a little slow for the amount of grass I cut, so I started looking at ZTR's as an alternative to dumping a lot of repair money into it. In the end, I didn't buy a ZTR and bought a new welder instead, lol! I performed some major surgery on the deck and body with the new Hobart 210 MVP, so I should get a many more years out of it. I still am drooling over a couple ZTR's though.

Last edited:
Just so I don't get stuck on the phone with a dealer...how much are we talking? My pocket book is about $8000 deep.
22 ton I&O's around here:

residential grade: $1300
commercial grade: $2600

The commercial grade unit has a cycle time around 6 seconds, and the residential grade unit is closer to 11 seconds.

$8k on a splitter? Man, I'm too cheap for that. I could afford to spend much more, but wouldn't out of principle. This woodburning thing is supposed to be saving us money, right?

22 ton I&O's around here:

residential grade: $1300
commercial grade: $2600

The commercial grade unit has a cycle time around 6 seconds, and the residential grade unit is closer to 11 seconds.

$8k on a splitter? Man, I'm too cheap for that. I could afford to spend much more, but wouldn't out of principle. This woodburning thing is supposed to be saving us money, right?
Lol, sorry about the confusion. The $8000 is for the ZT mower. That'll be out winter savings. How much for the JD 757?

Reactions: Dieseldog
Lol, sorry about the confusion. The $8000 is for the ZT mower. That'll be out winter savings. How much for the JD 757?
Ah... lol. At $8k you're in the right neighborhood. Last I checked, they were $7600 - $10,000, depending on exact configuration. Mulching deck and bagger are the big price options, which will drive the price toward the high mark. Feedback on the mulching deck is mixed, as the added complexity causes the commercial guys some headaches and additional maintenance.

edit: The JD ZTR's are among the heaviest and most rigidly built. If you want something built like a tank, you can't beat the Deere's. However, this does come at a price. Their super-rigid frame means they don't ride quite as smooth as some of the others, namely Exmark. In head-to-head comparisons, this is one of the differences you'll find people calling out on the two, with all other competitors being less desirable.

Last edited:
The thought of owning anything John Deere makes me cringe. Only green I've ever been on or around are Olivers. Grew up on IH and Case; 986, 1466, 1086, 2+2, 7120, 7130, etc.

I REALLY like from initial research, the Hustler mowers. And they seem priced just about right in my ballpark. Only thing I want as an attachment is the lawn striper.

BTW, now that I have two log splitters...I bet the farm that my one BIL will have some reason to use the new one. Funny thing is he doesn't even burn firewood. Just yesterday he was searching for reasons to get in my house while I'm at work.

I grew up on Bolens, Wheel Horse, Deere, and IH... and can say that in every case (pun intended) the three Deere's were the three best tractors I ever owned. Nothing else even comes close on reliability and trouble-free operation, in my limited experience.

Lawn striper? Meh.

Nothing else even comes close on reliability and trouble-free operation
I'll be your huckleberry: ;lol 1939 that gets the job done on the back 40. The hours logged could probably be converted into years.:p

100_1552sm.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
I've owned a lot of old tractors, Jags... although your 1939 does have me beat. They've all been great machines, but all required more repair or maintenance than my three Deere's, most by a very long shot.

Virtually zero repairs on this unit in the past 25 years (don't know the history prior to that). Anyhoo - I was just being a smarty pants.
This thread is a bit into the weeds at this point.

Maybe, but when you've seen your 40th "cat vs. noncat" or 900th "will this stove meet my clearances" thread, the ones this far into the weeds offer the most entertainment value.

Reactions: Alex C and Kobeman
Since we are on the subject of mowers. I love my grasshopper 223 with the 52in rear discharge deck.

I like my Menards Forest King 22 ton convertible splitter. I got it new for $699 after a $200 in store credit which I used shortly after on a new kitchen appliance. It doesn't have the best motor but so far so good.

I don't know what the power rating is on my homemade splitter ? But I can tell you it has a 12 hp kohler hooked to a 48 inch stroke cylinder and has a 4 way that can be added when necessary. It splits in both directions and has a lift table that keeps my back away from the chiropractors office. I built it sometime around 1985 and has worked just fine ever since. Maybe if I can find out how to post a picture you folks can take a look at it.
I'll have to check out how to do the pics.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I'll have to check out how to do the pics.
See the "Upload file" button, in the lower right-hand corner of the window where you're typing? Click that, then browse to wherever you have your photos stored, and select the photos. It may balk if you have very large photo files, in which case we can talk about how to reduce their size.

Why have all that $$ tied up in splitters when I can blow it on more chainsaws and beer?
Never a truer statement uttered ;lol;lol;lol;lol

I have the mixture between these giant gas powered ones and the tiny 5 ton electric ones. I have a Ramsplitter HV-16 electric. It has an electric motor which runs a hydraulic pump (just like the big boys, not the little screw type electric). I like it because I don't use it frequently, and I don't have to worry about fuel lines gumming up, winterizing it, etc. I got a great deal on mine used, and it has served me well. I have found very little that it wouldn't split, but it is out there. Overall it is impressive for it's size.

I split everything at home, so it works for me. If you need the portability, then it is not for you.

I may eventually put a gas engine on it, but we shall see.

Thought I would share some pics of my splitter in action. Here is the little HV 16 in horizontal mode. I put a pull cart at the foot and when the pull cart fills, I go stack the splits.

splitter.jpg

Here is some of the nastier stuff it has split. I have found a few rounds that it wouldn't bust, but for the most part I am happy with it. It will split stuff that laughs at a maul. For what I paid for it, I am thrilled, but I got it used.
gnarly 1.jpg gnarly 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.