Let's see some wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap jpl! :bug: Your trying to catch Eric Johnson aren't you? Looks like you will have no problem feeding the Woodstock Keystone for the next 10 years or so. :lol:

Here are a few pics from the spring of my stacks, and a pile of locust in the driveway. I've got two more stacks not shown, one is currently empty to make room for some construction. The long irregular stack is on a lower terrace level in the backyard that's otherwise pretty useless. We planted the Leyland Cypress trees you see in the middle a few years ago, which was sort of a pain last year when I started using that area for my "overflow" stack as I expanded from storing about 5 cords to storing 9 at one point. I probably have 7 stacked right now.

Attachments

• treepile.jpg
    treepile.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,551
  • porchpile.jpg
    porchpile.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,543
  • oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,539
  • locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,533
acesover said:

Can you show any other pics of your splitter? Is it a factory made one? can you tell me the details please? as I'm doing a bit of research before having one made, they are twice the price here in the UK / Ireland that they are in the USA ;-( yours looks like one that will last a life time, my sort of value ;-)

Great pic of your wood pile, keep gathering it'll never go wrong.

Cheers

Todd said:
Holy crap jpl! :bug: Your trying to catch Eric Johnson aren't you? Looks like you will have no problem feeding the Woodstock Keystone for the next 10 years or so. :lol:
LOL, Eric's is all split and stacked though I believe, and he's at least 10 cords ahead of me anyway. I've been trying to clean up the lying dead within reasonable hauling distance before it rots. Yeah, I'm problably pushing 6 or 7 years ahead but if that dead wood is going to produce CO2, then better to have it happen producing heat in the Keystone rather than just rotting. That's my excuse for excessive amounts of time in the woods with the dogs cutting wood. ;-)

just over 5 cords in both stacks....probably close to 4 cords in that pile for next winter. I will stack it as I use the wood this fall/winter

Attachments

• 101_1146.jpg
    101_1146.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,537
other stack and pile:

Attachments

• 101_1148.jpg
    101_1148.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,533
These are the only two pictures I can add. For some reason this site always gives me trouble uploading pics. It always tells me its either to big or to many pixels. So I will keep croping the picture down to size so when I finally get it right it will then tell me its not a valid file type??? How do you guys post those nice large pictures without any trouble??? By the way...nice wood all!!!

Attachments

• woodshed3.jpg
    woodshed3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,721
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,705
jpnh thanks! that helps a bunch. I see guys were playing with photobucket so I was trying to figure that out. Thanks again!

That's really nice, Hansson. I drove all over rural Sweden and Finland in late May and I didn't see any firewood stacked up around houses or farms like you do in this country. I saw lots of logging activity and piles of biomass (waiting to be chipped, I guess), but no split firewood. Do most people burn pellets or chips these days?

Beautiful stacks, by the way.

What I lack in beauty, I make up for in volume.

Attachments

• woodpile3.jpg
    woodpile3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,527
  • pile707.jpg
    pile707.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,564
Eric Johnson said:
That's really nice, Hansson. I drove all over rural Sweden and Finland in late May and I didn't see any firewood stacked up around houses or farms like you do in this country. I saw lots of logging activity and piles of biomass (waiting to be chipped, I guess), but no split firewood. Do most people burn pellets or chips these days?

Beautiful stacks, by the way.

That is a BIG stack eric! Nice

A lot of people a going over to earth heatpumps here.Or pellets.

Many have the wood in smal houses like this.
This is my wood house to the left

Attachments

• vedbod.jpeg
    vedbod.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,528
Hansson said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Hansson said:
Heres some wood pictures from me

Look at that wood...its all cut to perfect length????

I have an JAPA wood machine so its easy to get the length right :)

And then he PLANES the outside by hand :lol:

That sure is a beauty Hansson.

And Eric, volume IS beauty when it comes to firewood.
EDIT: and beer.

The beauty is in the burning, I guess.

Those are a couple of old pics. I actually have more back there right now. I won't be done until my wife has to squeeze between the woodpile and the clothesline to hang the clothes out to dry.

Between health problems and constant rain since the first of April I am way behind. I have only stacked a cord of oak and 3/4 cord of pine and poplar so far this year. Luckily I busted hiney last year and so I have this six cord stack of oak left over for this coming winter.

Attachments

• 2008 wood.jpg
    2008 wood.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,470
I just hit 4.5 cord and have some softwood stuff that has been drying in 16 inch logs for 4 years to split. Probably another cord and a half. Then I start on the real wood!!! Oak will be processed for next year!!!

My pile of wood after delivery - stacking just begun in the distance. 4 cord dropped, about one stacked at this point. Its seasoning nicely in this 90 degree heat.

Attachments

• wood pile.jpg
    wood pile.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,616
This was last years pile, only about 1/2 was used this winter, more
wood on the way...

Attachments

• WOOD-PILE II.JPG
    WOOD-PILE II.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,559
This coming winter will be my first full season of heating primarily with wood. I've got about 4.5 cords ready for this year (mostly black cherry, with some oak, beech & maple).

I've attached a couple of shots.

Rich

Attachments

• 2cords.jpg
    2cords.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,418
  • 2Holz.jpg
    2Holz.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,441
Status
Not open for further replies.